These are the latest blog updates. Click on the title to read the full article.
I’m playing around with a new design for the site, as you may or may not have noticed. After eight years using the same old WordPress template, with a responsive add-on for mobile devices, I decided it was time to go with a complete responsive theme, to make the sit a little easier to deal with for users who access it on phones and tablets. This should also make for a little bit cleaner look all around, though it may never be as minimal as it was back in its first year:
Things may be odd for a few days while I fix the inevitable broken parts. Let me know if anything is seriously amiss anywhere.
The Message Board was updated a year or so back, so it won’t be changing for the foreseeable future.
A philosophical post about the future direction of the site…
I’ve decided that the site will henceforth focus more on the store location histories and commercial archaeology aspect of things rather than on specific chain histories. I’ve been sort of focused in that direction for quite a while now anyway, so I guess this just means I’m making it more “official.” The location research has become the part I really enjoy anyway, and the chain histories are being done better in other places (heck, even Wikipedia, in some cases), so this seems like a logical way to proceed.
In case you don’t follow on Twitter (and you should), I thought I would backtrack and add archived posts from the road. I may change my mind and decide this is a stupid idea. Who knows?
New and expanded location lists:
- Buffalo NY, 1925-2005: Now includes suburban areas and also includes listings from 1960-2005. This is a major expansion.
- Rochester NY, 1925-2005: New list.
- Erie PA: New list.
- Toronto ON: Added 1925 locations.
There’s also this nifty new map to show you the geographic reach of the site.
Look for Twitter updates as I head for Southern Ontario in just a few weeks.
Latest arrivals on the site:
- Albuquerque location list, 1929-1959
- Boise location list, 1925-1960
- Orange County (CA) location lists, 1925-1975 (years vary)
- Santa Monica/West LA location list, 1927-1954
- Miscellaneous Los Angeles County location lists
- Portland (ME) location list, 1925-1964
- Peterborough, Ontario location list, 1925-1965
- Los Angeles location list
Now includes some San Fernando Valley data as well as San Pedro