Tifton Georgia 1940's market?

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Tifton Georgia 1940's market?

Post by Edric Floyd »

I found this building while working in Tifton Georgia late this afternoon. Located at the corner of North Central Avenue and West Second Street.

Sorry for the quality of the photos. This building is on the SW corner and it was taken at 6pm as the sun was setting.

The Tift County tax records list this address as 120 N. Central Avenue and little other information online

Any ideas what this may have been. This is in the downtown (historic) area and I am thinking 1930's or 1940's construction.

I would go to the local library to do some research but the library is undergoing renovations to its historic building and is runnning basic services in vacant Wal-Mart space for the next two years. I hope I can use their library in the future. Tifton has a lot of gems that are worth the research.[/b]
NewsLynne
Contributor

Post by NewsLynne »

Wild guess...but maybe a vintage Piggly Wiggly?

Cool building. Love that glass brick.
notmommydearest

Re: Tifton Georgia 1940's market?

Post by notmommydearest »

I cannot explain the "Market" sign, but, it was an ice house (perhaps that's obvious from the other signs.) Our Dad said he used to work there in high school, in the forties, when I think the ice was actually used to fill iceboxes.