A&P Centennials in Atlanta

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

A&P Centennials in Atlanta

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Did Atlanta have many Centennials? I only know of a newer A&P in Atlanta that was sold to Kroger. And that store replaced a Big Star, not an older A&P.
BK31
Contributor

Re: A&P Centennials in Atlanta

Post by BK31 »

The only one I've knowingly run across is located behind the AutoZone at 1262 Columbia Drive Decatur, GA. Street view link at the bottom of the page. This is the one I was talking about in the truss roof thread. We were doing fire remediation work down the strip a bit, but the owner of the center had us go into that space to do a little tenant plan to split the space into multiple tenants, but it never got done, through us at least.

Interestingly there's a Kroger City Center just around the corner on Memorial in Belvedere Plaza and the remnants of the original Kroger location at the very end of the center.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 6,,0,-8.38
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

There are pothers. One that comes to mind is on Johnson Road just below Briarcliff in the Morningside area. There was one at Toco Hills Shopping Center, but I think the building was demolished for the Publix. The ATL area grew rapidly during the heyday of centennials. Unfortunately, things get bulldozed fairly quickly in ATL, too.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Cherokee Plaza in Brookhaven, Peachtree Road, is a center that the centennial was bulldozed for a new build that was sold to Kroger in 1999. The Publix at West Paces Ferry and Northside Drive resulted in the bulldozing of a centennial. Several centennials were facaded with A&P's mansard front in the 1970's, Whitlock Avenue in Marietta comes to mind. Ace Hardware, Auto Zone, Family Dollar, and Dollar General are commonly found in several former centennials, including Douglasville to the west and Lawrenceville to the east. DeKalb and Cobb once had a large number of centennials and to a lesser extent so did Fulton County. Fairburn in South Fulton operated as A&P until the the division was closed in 1999.
BK31
Contributor

Post by BK31 »

I just ran across what looks to be another Centennial A&P in my own backyard at 1440 Roswell Road in Marietta. Its now Sidelines Sports Bar . I've lived maybe 2 miles away for almost three years now and never noticed it before because of how oddly it sits on a site between roswell road and powers ferry road about 6 lots back from where they converge. The front of the store faces into the back of another building and the drive across the front connects roswell and powers ferry roads.
alphakilo470

Post by alphakilo470 »

I used to drink at that Sidelines daily when I worked at a nearby pizzeria. It's funny I never noticed by now you've mentioned it, the building does look like a former A&P. there is also a former Centennial off the intersection of Concord rd. and S. Cobb dr. In Smyrna.