Pantry Pride prototype 2900 N 34th Street St Petersburg FL.

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

werememberretail
Contributor

Pantry Pride prototype 2900 N 34th Street St Petersburg FL.

Post by werememberretail »

I was just looking up some more old ads for Pantry Pride and This turned up.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Jm ... ride&hl=en This is an ad for a "million dollar" remodel of a St Pete Pantry Pride.
This store doesn't seem like it could have been a Frederick's (older chain Food Fair purchased mentioned elswhere on this board) Prepared foods? Scratch Bakery? Floral department? This store seems unusual for Pantry Prides even during this timeframe. It must have been a high volume operation to have such a nice upgrade like this. This seems to have been the planned prototype for future remodels ( and might have been a taste of what could have been in for store for some of the Philly stores had it not been for Jack Friedland's schenanigans) This seems to be in line with some Publixes of same vintage and predates the (Goldsmith Era) Grand Union "Food Market" remodels by a year or so. Since the Tampa/St Pete division closed along with the Philadelphia units in 1979 I wonder what became of that store after PP left.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: Pantry Pride prototype 2900 N 34th Street St Petersburg

Post by Steve Landry »

Great find!!!!

This was not really a "new" prototype ( that would come later with <too late> Pantry Pride Food Emporium)

That store and others were a re-visit of "things" that the company had done in past years. Nothing there was new, albeit updated.

I managed a Fredericks in S.W. Miami that, pre-Food Fair, had many if not more specialty departments and services. The store was 45,000 SF.

I managed another former Fredericks in the N.E. Miami area. I came in when the store was finally converted to a Pantry Pride (late 70's?). This store was larger, at about 50,000sf. We had every department that the above article mentions, PLUS! The store was open 24hours! I had a manager's office that was suspended from the ceiling!
The Food Fair Empire