Florida Choice

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Florida Choice

Post by pseudo3d »

I know that Florida Choice was Kroger's run in Florida in the 1980s after they took over The Family Mart (A&P), but what was it really like? What did the logo look like, for instance? Did Kroger remodel or get any new stores so it resembled more of the typical Kroger at the time?

Thanks
trainman
Contributor

Re: Florida Choice

Post by trainman »

There's a 1987 Florida Choice commercial at 3:20 of this YouTube video, and you will see the logo. Living in a Florida Choice area at the time, I also remember occasional Kroger Dairy commercials (can't find any examples on YouTube, but it was animated cows singing "mo-ooo-ooo-ooove over to Kroger") with an "available at Florida Choice" tag.

Sorry, can't tell you anything about store interiors.
jimbobga
Contributor

Post by jimbobga »

I'm not sure how many Florida Choice stores existed down there in the 80's, but there was one in Cocoa (Rockedge, actually) that was a new build. The store didn't last long - maybe two years - but the design was much like the Kroger-Savon stores that were built in the Savannah, GA, and Charleston, SC, areas in the late seventies. The main likenesses were the rounded corners on the front ends, as well as the lack of any protection from the elements over the entrances. There was also a liquor store attached to one end, although it had its own separate entrance and could not be accessed from the main store. This must have been Florida statutes at that time, because other chains which had liquor stores (Albertson's, Walgreen's) also had no access between the two stores.

There was another Florida Choice about fifteen miles from this "new build" on the beach. I'm not sure whether it was in Indialantic, Satellite Beach, or Indian Harbor Beach, since the incorporated towns along the South Brevard County beaches tend to run together. This store was not a new build, however, nor was it ever an A&P Family Mart. It changed to Florida Choice from a SuperX Food and Drug. SuperX had a presence in central Florida, but this was the only store that I am aware of that was a full-line grocery store with a SuperX pharmacy included. It was probably built in the mid- to late seventies, and did not feature any particular type of architecture used by Kroger. All I remember was that it looked like the run-of-the-mill discount stores of that period, with a brown fascia sporting a bright yellow SuperX Food and Drug. Inside, it was basically a Kroger, but the only place the word 'Kroger' was used was on their house-brand items. The store name changed to Florida Choice when Kroger expanded their presence in Florida.

I only visited the area about once a year since I lived in Savannah at the time, and I'm unaware when Kroger finally closed up shop in the Sunshine State. After all, they were in Publix territory, and had to compete with Winn-Dixie, Albertson's, and some remaining A&Ps to get even a small amount of the market share.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

jimbobga wrote:... although it had its own separate entrance and could not be accessed from the main store. This must have been Florida statutes at that time, because other chains which had liquor stores (Albertson's, Walgreen's) also had no access between the two stores.
It still is a law in Florida :)

Also, while Kroger no longer operates full-line groceries, They do have a presence in the form of Tom Thumb convenience stores and fuel stations.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
KrogerTexas
Contributor

Post by KrogerTexas »

Kroger exited Florida as part of the restructuring plan in 1988.