Former A&P Centennials in Louisiana

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

Former A&P Centennials in Louisiana

Post by pseudo3d »

Mousing around in Lafayette, LA, I found this former A&P Centennial store in Lafayette. I don't have any pictures but the address is 1900 Cameron St # B, Lafayette, LA 70506.

I believe it's been gone far longer than the New Orleans division, but I never knew the Centennial stores existed in the New Orleans division.

My question is actually threefold:

1) When did this store close?
2) Are there any more former A&P Centennial stores left in Louisiana that are largely unaltered like this one?
3) Were there any Centennial stores still operating as an A&P-owned store by the time A&P left Louisiana?
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: Former A&P Centennials in Louisiana

Post by wnetmacman »

I have addressed this multiple times, but I'll rehash here again.

That store has been closed since AT LEAST the 80's. It hasn't been a grocery store since then. For a while it was half Dollar General. That side is now a beauty store; the other half is a church. Just to the left was a very long standing Eckerd that became CVS. That store has since moved out. That's a very rough neighborhood, and not much survives there. There is also, just around the corner on N. University an old National, which is probably Piggly Wiggly in the Google Maps view. It's now a Shoppers Value Foods store, under the same ownership.

There are other relatively intact Centennials in:

New Iberia - 500 Block of Admiral Doyle Dr. It's currently Simoneaud's Cost Plus; until a few years ago it was still relatively intact.
Morgan City - 6500 Block of US 90-BUS, just off LA 182. It's currently an AutoZone
Tallulah - US 80 East. Currently Bestway.

There may be more; these are the ones I'm aware of at the moment that are still open. There was one in Ruston at one time, but it was torn down a few years back.
Scott Greer