Safeway, Raley's and Roy's, Elko, Nevada

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

tesg
Veteran

Safeway, Raley's and Roy's, Elko, Nevada

Post by tesg »

Popped a few quick shots in Elko, NV while passing by last week. There are some seriously awesome buildings and signage in that town. None the least of which are old grocery stores...

This is Roy's downtown. Didn't make it inside, but how often do you see downtown markets anymore.

I believe this old Safeway has been posted before, but I couldn't find it.

This apparently old gable Safeway is next door to the newer Marina Safeway

And then there's Raley's, which is in such great shape it could have opened yesterday...

And then there was a rather boring Smith's. Nobody cares.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Safeway, Raley's and Roy's, Elko, Nevada

Post by klkla »

Interesting pics.

I wish you could have gone inside the Roy's Market. I believe that is the old Mayfair Market. When I worked for Mayfair that store remained open long after they closed the rest of the Nevada stores and must have been really profitable in its day for them to keep it open when it was so isolated and far from the distribution center in Los Angeles.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, Roy's is the old Mayfair. I think it was still a Mayfair in the late 80's, but my memory lapses.

Roy's has been remodeled probably twice since being Mayfair. There may be some original refrigeration. The store layout based on the picture is as follows:

The checkouts are against the front (side street- there is also a parking lot back there that is not visible in the photo). Produce is in the front left along that wall that goes along the side street. The back left has dairy and some other refrigeration like lunchmeat. The remainder of the back wall has meat. The right wall (visible on the right side of this photo with the sidewalk and road running alongside) had dry goods and some canned goods. There was no bakery or deli. A small service meat area was added on my last visit. The right front corner (at the 5:00 position in the photo) looks like an area that could house a department of some sort but is largely unused.

When exactly did Mayfair leave their two Reno Stores? There was one that survived into the early 90s as "The Market" and another (in downtown Reno, freestanding with a big parking lot, now the Silver Legacy) that survived until the mid 90's as "JJ's Food Co." which seemed to be a Scolari's in all but name with higher prices and no ad program. There was also a Mayfair in North Carson City that was rebranded Scolaris but closed in the mid 90's likely a victim to a Super Kmart opening and a Safeway expansion nearby.

I also heard there was a Mayfair in Hawthorne but I never did figure out where...
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Topic split. New Mayfair topic here:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... f=2&t=2861
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Was the Raley's originally Lucky's? The decor is very 1970's, yet from the pictures, the store appears well maintained.

Also, I assume the Albertson's is part of SVU, but has thus far survived the closures in Utah. I assume, like Smith's it's a more recent vintage store, and less interesting than the older stores.
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

The Mayfair was originally a Sewell's Grocery Store. They had locations in Reno at 430 N. Virginia and 1331 S. Virginia, and a location in Winnemucca, too. Here's a matchbook from the store...

Here's a then and now shot of the old Safeway in Elko...

Toni Mendive at the Northeastern Nevada Historical Society and Museum in Elko was gracious enough to scan the old photo for me. I shot the bottom picture in December.