When were these Safeway styles built?

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

When were these Safeway styles built?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

The Food Town at 13811 Cypress North Houston Road in Cypress, TX was once a Safeway/AppleTree. There were a few other Safeways in the area with this design. One was in Humble and is now empty. I am not sure what it last was though. That one was missing from a list of AppleTree locations I found. Note the pylon sign style of the Cypress store. Could this be a circa 1975 store?

Also consider the Safeway at 21155 Tomball Parkway in Houston. I know I have posted about it before. After Safeway/AppleTree, this store was very briefly a Randalls. Then it was very briefly an H-E-B. Finally it's a Stein Mart. Perhaps this was an early 80's store? I really wonder why the last two tenants closed.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: When were these Safeway styles built?

Post by wnetmacman »

Ephrata1966 wrote:The Food Town at 13811 Cypress North Houston Road in Cypress, TX was once a Safeway/AppleTree. There were a few other Safeways in the area with this design. One was in Humble and is now empty. I am not sure what it last was though. That one was missing from a list of AppleTree locations I found. Note the pylon sign style of the Cypress store. Could this be a circa 1975 store?
This was a very popular store design in Houston for Safeway. They are all over, and as far east as Beaumont. This store was from either the late 70's or early 80's. Safeway used that pylon in Houston almost until the end.
Ephrata1966 wrote:Also consider the Safeway at 21155 Tomball Parkway in Houston. I know I have posted about it before. After Safeway/AppleTree, this store was very briefly a Randalls. Then it was very briefly an H-E-B. Finally it's a Stein Mart. Perhaps this was an early 80's store? I really wonder why the last two tenants closed.
This was a mid-80's store. Probably among the last Safeway-built stores in Houston, pre-Randalls.
Scott Greer