Closed VONS, closed Albertsons, Las Vegas, NV

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

lvkewlkid
Veteran

Closed VONS, closed Albertsons, Las Vegas, NV

Post by lvkewlkid »

I've noticed that at Eastern and Desert Inn there used to be a VONS where the La Bonita Supermercado stands, and its obvious because VONS still has it on there store locator and the signage inside. The location is 2500 E. Desert Inn, Las Vegas, NV. When you look at the assessor records, it shows that the Ross in the same shopping center was owned or was a Safeway from 1983 to 2000. What was it before it was a Safeway? And how could it work out that a Safeway and a VONS was in the same shopping center? The former VONS was built in 1979 and it just closed recently. It seems, according to assessor records, they were both operating at the same time. Also, why does the former VONS/current La Bonita have those strange doors in the front that don't even go to the inside, if you go through them, your still outside, not in the store, did it have to do with a remodel?

Also, at Eastern and Tropicana, the Circuit City's assessor record says it used to be an Albertsons. When did that close? Also, across the street, in the PetsMart Center/Ocotillo Plaza, it also was an Albertsons, before it was a Raley's, and then a Food4Less and now is vacant. Also, again, across the street is a current Albertsons-Sav-On in the former Lucky supermarket. I understand the Albertsons moving from Ocotillo and selling to Raley's to go across the street into the former Lucky space because of the merger. What I don't understand is the Circuit City and the former Albertsons in Ocotillo Plaza. Was the current Circuit City space too small so they moved the Albertsons across the street? Also, why did the Food4Less close, it wasn't open for that long?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Closed VONS, closed Albertsons, Las Vegas, NV

Post by Groceteria »

lvkewlkid wrote:And how could it work out that a Safeway and a VONS was in the same shopping center?
I'm not sure about this particular center, but it was common in the 1960s and 1970s for shopping centers, even relatively small ones, to have two supermarket anchors.

Safeway didn't own any portion of Vons until 1987, and they didn't have a controlling interest until 1996, so the fact that Safeway and Vons could have been co-anchors during the period you mention isn't really that unusual.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Groceteria wrote:
lvkewlkid wrote:And how could it work out that a Safeway and a VONS was in the same shopping center?
I'm not sure about this particular center, but it was common in the 1960s and 1970s for shopping centers, even relatively small ones, to have two supermarket anchors.
Going on that tangent of "two supermarkets in one shopping center..."

I've mentioned it before, but the one that I know of best is the Safeway/QFI combo at Millbrae Square in Millbrae, CA - the QFI came first, then a marina Safeway a decade or so later...and now the remodeled marina Safeway is still there, while the QFI (after becoming Bell) is now Office Depot.

And in the past (cue up your Charlotte section, or the photo of the Columbia Road Giant/Safeway pair), competitors would be side-by-side!
Chris Sampang
rnaikens
Contributor

Post by rnaikens »

When I moved to Las Vegas in 1985, the Ross was a Safeway "Liquor Barn" at Eastern & DI.

Octotillo Plaza was home to Smith's (Former PetCo building) Smith's wanted to expand the store into a super store. They couldn't come to a meeting of the minds with the landlord and closed the store in the late 80's. ( I think it was the same landloard that sued them over all the other stores they closed down)

The Plaza was enlarged and Albertson's built a new store on the east end. They moved from the former Circuit City site.

Across the street from the original Albertson's was an Alpha Beta Super store. It became a Lucky and now Albertsons. The chain has been on 3 of the 4 corners!!
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

thanks for helping me out with ocotillo plaza, because i saw the now-close food4less, as a Raley's and originally as an Albertsons, but never the Circuit City because it was before my time...

what was a liquor barn, was it just a liquor store that couldn't fit in the original store?
rnaikens
Contributor

Post by rnaikens »

Safeway used to turn some of thier older, smaller stores in liquor stores ala Lee's liquors. This was the only one in Vegas as far I remember. It's wasn't open as a LB for very long.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

I drove by the Ocotillo Plaza today, looks like something replaced the Albertsons/Raley's/Food 4 Less like and independent market or something like it, I wasn't able to see the sign from Eastern and they took down the pylon on Eastern since there is no more PetsMart (it moved down to Eastern and Patrick)...any idea of what replaced it? I tried checking the address on Clark County's business licenses and can't get anything...

maybe sometime next week i'll be able to get a better look, i haven't been in that area in a while lately
rnaikens
Contributor

Post by rnaikens »

I believe that King Ranch Mkt is opening in the former FFL space.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

that would be nice, to have a King Ranch closer to the southern part of town...i'll have to check the weekly ad...
albun

Post by albun »

lvkewlkid wrote:Paris Hotel Las VegasExcalibur Hotel
that would be nice, to have a King Ranch closer to the southern part of town...i'll have to check the weekly ad...

I agree! King Ranch is one of my favs!
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

I had forgotten that Circuit City was an Albertsons. I lived at Harmon and McLeod when I was eight years old. I remember walking to Woolco which was in the same shopping center. The bakery, Baskin Robbins and a bike shop were also in there. Skaggs/Alpha Beta opened across the street after my family moved to Henderson. An Ole's (precursor to Home Depot) was built on the southwest corner behind the Sizzler. The Albertsons in the Ocotillo Plaza had the 1986 interior up to the early 2000's.
albun

Post by albun »

Roadsidepictures wrote:Cirque Du Soleil Vegas Show Caesars Palace Vegas
I had forgotten that Circuit City was an Albertsons. I lived at Harmon and McLeod when I was eight years old. I remember walking to Woolco which was in the same shopping center. The bakery, Baskin Robbins and a bike shop were also in there. Skaggs/Alpha Beta opened across the street after my family moved to Henderson. An Ole's (precursor to Home Depot) was built on the southwest corner behind the Sizzler. The Albertsons in the Ocotillo Plaza had the 1986 interior up to the early 2000's.www.lasvegashotels.org

Don't you love reminiscing on childhood experiences??? Woolco... now that brings back some old memories!
albun

Post by albun »

Roadsidepictures wrote:I had forgotten that Circuit City was an Albertsons. I lived at Harmon and McLeod when I was eight years old. I remember walking to Woolco which was in the same shopping center. The bakery, Baskin Robbins and a bike shop were also in there. Skaggs/Alpha Beta opened across the street after my family moved to Henderson. An Ole's (precursor to Home Depot) was built on the southwest corner behind the Sizzler. The Albertsons in the Ocotillo Plaza had the 1986 interior up to the early 2000's.

Funny... Sizzler was my very first job when I was 15. Sizzler rocked in those days! Actually, their salad bar is still the best to be found.
J. Hults
I love Vegas Pools
Rio Hotel Vegas
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

We ate at that Sizzler several times. Here's a matchbook with their old logo...

Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The current Albertsons in Boise, ID at Overland & Vista sits on a site that once had a Sizzler with that signage. The restaurant was closed and demolished a few years before Albertsons rebuilt this location.