Camden, NJ supermarkets

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Camden, NJ supermarkets

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I was shocked to discover there was once a Centennial A&P in Camden, NJ. This is the most dangerous town in the country. And it has been that way for many years. The Sears, built in 1927, closed in 1971 and has been empty ever since. This followed riots which destroyed parts of the city. Does anyone know what the A&P is now? I also think there would have to have been an Acme at one time. And of course Penn Fruit and Food Fair.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Camden, NJ supermarkets

Post by maynesG »

Hi, The Acme is on route 130 south bound lane and is a SavA Lot. I helped set up a Thriftway
with two fronts in late August of 1992. While we were their the store was actualy open and the locals were already stealing the store owner blind. This store lasted two months it migth have been and Acme or and A&P ( both chains had stores with rear lots and two fronts)
I believe that there is and Aldis in Camden.
For a lot of years this city did not have a supermarket of any kind. This is a true shame Camden was once a beautiful City but it now has more abandoned homes then it has home owners. Its Mayors seem to have formed a Rumba line to the Federal Pen.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Thanks. Wait a minute, were the Save-a-Lot and Thriftway the same store?

Looking on the map, I see there is still a Pathmark in Camden to this day. That is just unbelievable! For that matter, there is still a Super Fresh in the DC city limits too.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, The Thriftway was in a southern portion of Camden that had a few businesses and some decent homes ( Kinda reminded me of Sip Avenue in Jersey City). The Acme was up on Route 130 on the other side of town. Sav A Lot has relocated to a building near the Pathmark on Mt Empriham Avenue. I been told that Acme at one time had two stores in Camden. The Triftway was the twin of the Route 13 Acme in New Castle that has been a Sav a Lot for about the mid 80!s
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I thought I heard something about a nightclub in a former A&P in Camden that had a fire in 1981. The A&P must have been a 1940s store and closed in 1970-something.
Rob Ascough
Contributor

Post by Rob Ascough »

What is the exact location of the former Acme on Route 130 South? I have two listings for Acme stores in Camden and neither is on Route 130.

Broadway & Mt. Vernon, opened 11/17/1948 (looks as though the building is gone and is now an empty lot)

200 Marlton avenue, opened 3/3/1954 (looks like a mid-to-late-50's store but built directly on the street, sort of like the older Maple Shade store- not sure what it is now)

Is it possible Camden had three Acme stores? Or did the one on Route 130 replace the Broadway & Mt. Vernon store?
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

maynesG wrote:Hi, The Thriftway was in a southern portion of Camden that had a few businesses and some decent homes ( Kinda reminded me of Sip Avenue in Jersey City). The Acme was up on Route 130 on the other side of town. Sav A Lot has relocated to a building near the Pathmark on Mt Empriham Avenue. I been told that Acme at one time had two stores in Camden. The Triftway was the twin of the Route 13 Acme in New Castle that has been a Sav a Lot for about the mid 80!s
The Pathmark in Camden closed this past September, along with the Pathmark in Cherry Hill, NJ and Edgewater Park, NJ.