Kmart Foods In Central Virginia

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

NewsLynne
Contributor

Kmart Foods In Central Virginia

Post by NewsLynne »

In Charlottesville, the Kmart is being remodeled. When I moved here, there was a Food Lion attached to it. I don't believe it had always been a Food Lion, due to the age of the store.

Did the Kmart Foods concept make it this far north? The Kmart was built around 1967-68.

The former grocery store is now a Gold's Gym.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Kmart Foods was a nationwide concept. There's an extensive thread on it here:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7
NewsLynne
Contributor

Post by NewsLynne »

Thanks!
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I don't know how long Kmart Foods lasted around these parts, though. From the old city and suburban directories for Richmond, there was only one Kmart Foods (on Midlothian Turnpike) which lasted one year (maybe two).

There were two others that were coupled to Big Stars, at least one made the conversion from Big Star to Winn-Dixie.
kris-alyx
Contributor

Re: Kmart Foods In Central Virginia

Post by kris-alyx »

i can remember going to that store to is it the one just a few miles from barrecs road shoping center, because i remember going there when i'd went to uva hospital for talks abouit at the time very expermental sirgery that was going to be done to my legs because i could not bend them, i' if you ever saw me walking you'd probilly utter the F word about the way i walked, but about k-mart foods i do remember it but i also think that the k-mart on midlothian also was one too.