When could this photo of the Newark DE Acme have been taken?

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

When could this photo of the Newark DE Acme have been taken?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Yes, the old one which is long gone and is now a Rite Aid. Here is the photo: http://www.dda1.com/photos/retail/parkshop_big.jpg

I can't see any of the cars here up close, and I can't tell when this style of store was built. Not sure when it closed either but the Rite Aid there is pretty old. Why this real estate site uses such an old photo is a mystery to me. They have several photos of a shopping center on 202 from the 80's? as well, when a Raymour & Flanigan clearance store was a Service Merchandise, and the Applebee's was The Ground Round.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: When could this photo of the Newark DE Acme have been ta

Post by maynesG »

HI, The old Acme on Elkton Road closed in 1990. When the replacement store opened also on Elkton Road ( One of the five best in the chain). . The store opened around 1959. Hope it helps. Gerry
Lenny
Contributor

Post by Lenny »

There is a Fotomat in the parking lot, couldn't tell you how long it has been since I saw one of those! (But it could be a clue)
Served 10 years at Weis Markets (June 1995-July 2005)
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Hopes this helps. I played withy this photo a little and came up with the following: Look at the cars that are parked nose to window in the picture in front of the Acme. Today that doesent happen because it would be and is a firelane.
Look at the cars in the lot their is not a handi cap praking area. Both of these law as came in during the early 70!s, The cars look real large in the photo, but their is not any Fins or rounded Buicks among them.. I am guessing the mid to late 60!s.