The Chestertown Acme A Frame is to be renovated

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

maynesG
Veteran

The Chestertown Acme A Frame is to be renovated

Post by maynesG »

The Chestertown Acme A Frame is to be renovated and expanded into four store fronts in its srip center. It will more then likely loose its A frame features that suived two other expansions/ If on the Maryland Eastern Shore the next month or so. You migth want to stop by.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Re: The Chestertown Acme A Frame is to be renovated

Post by Ephrata1966 »

As of the past few years, didn't this store have early 2000s Albertsons decor (as in the "seafood & meats" sign on the back wall) but still have its 60's fluorescent lighting? It's ironic because the Acmes in Willingboro NJ and Morrisville PA (which are near each other) both opened in 1994-1995, but never got the early 2000s remodel even though most early 90's Acmes did. And yet the Pike Creek Acme, which still has its original 70's facade, has clearly gotten 90's light fixtures.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Yes you are correct. I was there for that one. The company kept us open knocked down part of the Meat room toar out the original seafood and deli . placed us in a tent for several months and we never lost and hours business. Pike Creek and Hockessin are being remodeled as we speek. New Deli and Seafood departments as well as other n ew goodies are being added.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Will the old facade be taken off the Pike Creek store this time? If so, the Trolley Square, Oxford PA, Germantown PA, Middlesex NJ, Sea Isle City NJ, and Stevensville MD Acmes will still have the 70's model.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi , Pike Creek lost that front many years ago has the Castle Look like Elkton has. I don! think that they plan to change the out side. The out side of Chestertown is to be changed and the A Frame lost. You are correct about the others.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Here's a picture of the Pike Creek store: https://www.acmemarkets.com/stores/view ... ityId=7826

It still has the "angel wings" which were on the store when it was built in 1973. As of the last two years, I know they were still there.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

That is too bad! I was just back in that store like a month ago. It was a really, really nicely remodeled store into the Jewel interior. It was small and very, very busy on the late weekday morning I visited. There were so many employees around I wasn't too comfortable taking pictures even in my usual covert manner. I took a few, but really think a meat guy stocking some freestanding cases was on to me. I got out fast.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

And why exactly is picture taking a problem?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Ephrata1966 wrote:And why exactly is picture taking a problem?
As has been discussed numerous times here, most chains frown on interior photography and will ask you to stop (or even to leave) if they see you doing it. Many even have posted notices prohibiting the practice. Albertsons stores all used to have door signs (and still do for all I know) and I've seen them at other chains as well. I've also been stopped in a Safeway store but the manager actually relented when I told him about the site. The stores are private property, after all, and they have every right to do this.

And now, back to the topic at hand...
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Storewanderer, not sure why you called it the "Jewel" interior, but this Albertsons in Albuquerque apparently started as a Jewel, and its decor matches the Chestertown store as it looked until recently: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16441604@N07/2504773564/

What's amazing is that the Jewel/Albertsons pictured is almost identical to a 90's Acme on the inside. I would be shocked to learn it wasn't, and that it was thousands of miles from the nearest Acme, if I saw this photo and didn't know better.