88 year old Dillon St. John, KS - last day today

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

88 year old Dillon St. John, KS - last day today

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.sjnewsonline.com/article/201 ... 3/?Start=2

I know we usually don't go with current talk here but this is quite a run for a chain store, 88 years, which appears to likely follow its original footprint.

I guess what I wonder is if it lasted this long why now is it finally closing?
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
pseudo3d
Veteran

Re: 88 year old Dillon St. John, KS - last day today

Post by pseudo3d »

I kind of consider it "cheating" if the store moved once. With that caveat, I'm sure I can find a few Acmes with lineages that trace back to that time or earlier. The longest long-running grocery store I can think of today is Albertsons #101, which expanded dramatically since its first inception but is still in their original spot (1939), now approaching 77. Another notable long-runner was an A&P that opened in New Orleans in 1930 and never moved and remained an A&P, until it was finally sold in 2007 to Rouses (I wouldn't consider closing and reopening as Rouses to be continuous).
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:I kind of consider it "cheating" if the store moved once. With that caveat, I'm sure I can find a few Acmes with lineages that trace back to that time or earlier. The longest long-running grocery store I can think of today is Albertsons #101, which expanded dramatically since its first inception but is still in their original spot (1939), now approaching 77. Another notable long-runner was an A&P that opened in New Orleans in 1930 and never moved and remained an A&P, until it was finally sold in 2007 to Rouses (I wouldn't consider closing and reopening as Rouses to be continuous).
While it is true that Albertsons #101 is operating on the site of the original Albertsons at 16th & State Street in Boise, it is not the original building. A new building (which is the current store) was constructed in the early 1980s, and has been remodeled several times. However, the current Albertsons on Broadway in Boise is still using their original building which I believe dates to the 1960s. It received a heavy remodel in the 1980s which involved a store expansion as well as a total remodel of the strip mall it is in. It has been remodeled at least once since then.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

Super S wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:I kind of consider it "cheating" if the store moved once. With that caveat, I'm sure I can find a few Acmes with lineages that trace back to that time or earlier. The longest long-running grocery store I can think of today is Albertsons #101, which expanded dramatically since its first inception but is still in their original spot (1939), now approaching 77. Another notable long-runner was an A&P that opened in New Orleans in 1930 and never moved and remained an A&P, until it was finally sold in 2007 to Rouses (I wouldn't consider closing and reopening as Rouses to be continuous).
While it is true that Albertsons #101 is operating on the site of the original Albertsons at 16th & State Street in Boise, it is not the original building. A new building (which is the current store) was constructed in the early 1980s, and has been remodeled several times. However, the current Albertsons on Broadway in Boise is still using their original building which I believe dates to the 1960s. It received a heavy remodel in the 1980s which involved a store expansion as well as a total remodel of the strip mall it is in. It has been remodeled at least once since then.
#101 based on satellite photography has clearly been expanded several times, but HistoricAerials show that #101 has been there since at least 1971 (so not as old as '39 but older than the 1980s). Do Nampa and Caldwell still retain their original buildings?
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:
Super S wrote:
#101 based on satellite photography has clearly been expanded several times, but HistoricAerials show that #101 has been there since at least 1971 (so not as old as '39 but older than the 1980s). Do Nampa and Caldwell still retain their original buildings?
I stand corrected. I seem to remember reading something about the store being built in the 1980s, but may have had that confused with the shopping center development just west of the store, once known as Albertsons Market Place, which is not present on that 1971 photo. Since this store could technically be considered the Albertsons flagship, they paid a little more attention keeping that particular location updated.