Chicago Photos

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

LadyNoir
Contributor

Chicago Photos

Post by LadyNoir »

Looking at phtos linked here: http://www.groceteria.com/journal/2006/11.html

Just some comments you may not know.
The former Jewel on Oakton ceased being a Jewel in the late 60s or early 70s. Newspaper says that in the 70s it was Segal's shoes. Since at least the early 90s I know that it has been a Tuesday Morning with the inside being basically unchanged. And I think it was some sort of bakery before it was Jewel although I am not certain.

The Hungarian Kosher place across the street which I saw featured on Oakton here somewhere was once a a Dominick's in the early 70s.

And the Jewel-Osco on Broadway is one I used to frequent as a kid. I was always fascinated by it because of the parking garage. A 1967 newspaper article says it used to be something called Brompton garage. Not sure what that was.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Chicago Photos

Post by Groceteria »

LadyNoir wrote:The Hungarian Kosher place across the street which I saw featured on Oakton here somewhere was once a a Dominick's in the early 70s.
It's a nice one, and still has elements of a 1970s interior package that was probably its first and only remodel. Glad to know what it was.
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Re: Chicago Photos

Post by mikeparkridge »

What happened to the picture?