Mystery store, Palace Mall, Mitchell SD

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Mystery store, Palace Mall, Mitchell SD

Post by TenPoundHammer »

http://www.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/Ht ... xactDim=-1

Anyone know what this Sears store used to be? My gut says Red Owl.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Re: Mystery store, Palace Mall, Mitchell SD

Post by Toby Radloff »

It is unusual to see a Sears right next door to a JC Penney in the same shopping center. It could have been a former food store, although I'm not that familiar with what chains had locations in South Dakota. Looking closer at the photo, it appears that the Sears was a hardware store occupying a single storefront, with Family Dollar taking the remaining square footage. There are also three sets of entry doors, which may have been added when that end of the shopping center was remodeled for Family Dollar and Sears. Some Family Dollars are in ex-supermarket buildings. Also, being South Dakota, if that building was a former food store, it could have been an independent store, making Red Owl a good guess. Red Owl was a co-op/store brand of independent supermarkets.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Red Owl also operated stores of its own. The roof is not unlike what a great many supers used between the mid 60s and the early 80s. Super Valu would be another possibility--they often would have a pylon-ish big wall next to the picture windows with the chain's name. I've seen IGAs and Piggly Wigglys like this, as well.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Supervalu was across the street where Coborn's is now.