Kroger closing in Hannibal and Louisiana, MO

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

krogerclerk
Veteran

Kroger closing in Hannibal and Louisiana, MO

Post by krogerclerk »

Two Missouri stores that are remnants of the old Gateway Kroger division from St.Louis are closing soon. Hannibal appears to be an updated 1970's superstore with some of the "Ralphs" 2000's era decor elements. The Louisiana store is a well preserved 1970's superstore serving a very small town. Both Kroger stores are the only chain supermarkets in either town. Schnucks had a Hannibal location in a former National that closed over a decade ago. The Louisiana store was a consolidation of the Bowling Green and Louisiana stores when the superstore was built.

http://www.hannibal.net/article/2012100 ... /1001/NEWS
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Kroger closing in Hannibal and Louisiana, MO

Post by Groceteria »

krogerclerk wrote:The Louisiana store is a well preserved 1970's superstore serving a very small town.
By "well preserved" do you mean the interior? Not that I can really get to Missouri to take pictures in the next week or so, but maybe someone can...
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

I can't vouch for the interior of the Louisiana store, but aerial views show an unaltered superstore exterior and signage as of 2009, an online friend said it had been given the early 90's mauve and grid decor in place of the original superstore tudor decor. The Hannibal store has some elements of the superstore interior intact, the floor tiles with brick tiles colored to the color code of each department and general layout has been unaltered. The Hannibal store has had refrigeration and freezers updated and the decor was a low ball variation of the "Ralphs" decor package that was used until 2010.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Anyone know anything about the Kroger in Warrenton, MO? Just looked at the photo on Google....Looks like it's a 1950's or 1960's store with the original KROGER white letters on the front of the building...and the original Kroger oval sign....not in the cube.
Would like to make the trip up there sometime to see it if it's indeed still "older" inside.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Warrenton, MO Kroger closed June 25, 2019.

Can't say I am surprised... store had little business when I was there a few years ago. A new Schnucks opened nearby last year.

Still very sad to see these old Krogers going.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Here are some pictures I took of the Warrenton store when I was passing through Missouri in 2016. I remember the store being clean and surprisingly full-featured for its size, and it had superstore-era flooring from the 1970s. This store was one of my favourites, and I'm sorry to see it go:

ImageImageImage

With Hannibal, Louisiana, and Warrenton gone, there are now only three Kroger stores in the state of Missouri. Surprisingly, all of them are fairly historic in their own right: A modestly-remodelled 1970s superstore in Rolla (with 1980s floor tiling), a well-preserved 1980s greenhouse in Poplar Bluff, and a late 1980s "flattened greenhouse" in Troy.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

With all these closings and three stores hanging on, that makes me wonder. Does anyone see any future for mainline Kroger in Missouri?