The Jewel-Osco stores of Albertsons LLC

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

The Jewel-Osco stores of Albertsons LLC

Post by pseudo3d »

According to Wikipedia (which presumably got the specific information from reliable sources of the day), the fallout from the purchase of Albertsons Inc. included not only 655 Albertsons stores (many of which were closed or sold within two years) and a few discount grocery stores Albertsons owned (Max Foods, Grocery Warehouse, Super Saver Foods) but also two locations of Jewel-Osco. Which ones? I know there were J-O stores on the fringe (like Dixon, IL, which became County Market later), but does anyone have an idea of those specific stores?
rvwalton
Contributor

Re: The Jewel-Osco stores of Albertsons LLC

Post by rvwalton »

The two stores in Springfield. IL were not taken over by Supervalu. They were initially taken over by Cerberus and later sold to Niemann Foods. As far as i know, these were the only stores that did not get acquired by Supervalu. The locations in Bloomington-Normal and Kankakee remained part of Jewel. At one time they had stores in Champaign-Urbana (thanks to Eisner) but those stores are no longer part of Jewel. Not sure whether they were closed before the Supervalu acquisition or afterward.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

rvwalton wrote:At one time they had stores in Champaign-Urbana (thanks to Eisner) but those stores are no longer part of Jewel. Not sure whether they were closed before the Supervalu acquisition or afterward.
The entire Eisner portion of Jewel is gone. IIRC, Champaign lasted until 2000-2001. Danville closed in 2001 for certain. That predates the Cerberus acquisition by 4 years.
Scott Greer
rvwalton
Contributor

Post by rvwalton »

wnetmacman wrote:
rvwalton wrote:At one time they had stores in Champaign-Urbana (thanks to Eisner) but those stores are no longer part of Jewel. Not sure whether they were closed before the Supervalu acquisition or afterward.
The entire Eisner portion of Jewel is gone. IIRC, Champaign lasted until 2000-2001. Danville closed in 2001 for certain. That predates the Cerberus acquisition by 4 years.
Hmm...I thought Bloomington-Normal was a former Eisner market as well.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Cerberus also purchased the Chicago Cub Stores from Supervalu as part of that Albertsons deal to satisfy anti-trust concerns; those were immediately slated for closure when purchased. I think most converted to other similar formats; Ultra Foods, etc.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/