Kohl's Supermarkets in the Chicago Area

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

prospector

Re: Kohl's Supermarkets in the Chicago Area

Post by prospector »

Groceteria wrote:Image

7175 N. Lincoln Ave., Lincolnwood IL

This one's pretty beautiful, methinks. I vaguely remember seeing a photo of a similarly-style Jewel at some point, but I'm not 100% certain. Could just be a very nice independent or some other chain. Ideas welcome.
I can tell you that all the stores of this design were built as Kohl's Food Stores in the Chicago area. There are quite a few still around, as you point out, they are a very unique design. Kohl's bought out the Mayflower chain in the Chicago area, as I remember it would probably be late 60's. The one in my neighborhood was on Harlem near Lawrence, attached to a Community Discount Center. It was not of this design. This is the same Kohl's chain that is better known as a food chain in Wisconsin (they pulled out of Illinois probably by the early 70's by my memory), and also the same Kohl's that today is known all over the country as the clothing and home goods chain. The Kohl family owns the Milwaukee Bucks, and Senator Herb Kohl of Wisconsin is the patriarch of the family.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There's a sporting goods store on Grand River Ave. in Okemos that has that *exact* building style; same color and everything. I can tell it used to be a grocery store because the sign still has a figure of a lady with a shopping cart. No idea what chain would've used such a figure.
sirpher

Post by sirpher »

One of the old Kohl's stores is at Dundee Rd and Buffalo Grove Rd in Buffalo Grove. It was a Dominick's in 90's and now it is a shoe store called Rogan Shoes.
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Re: Was Kohl's

Post by mikeparkridge »

LadyNoir wrote:Nope, it was definately a Kohl's according to Chicago Tribune archives.

Kohl's did have locations in Chicago. According to a 1975 advertisement. The locations were:

Central and Addison
Elston and Kimball (which prior to that was a supermarket called Mayflower and it is now split between a Family Dollar and Unique Thrift Store)
2555 W Toughy (My father used to work around the corner from here and after it's life as Kohl's it was briefly a Butera than it proceeded to sit there unattended for I believe over a decade until various auto parts places took over. First USA Parts, then PepBoys and now Auto Zone)
4701 N Harlem (Now Value City and prior to that used to be Kmart)
5434 N Lincoln (not sure what is there now although I think it may have been Osco)
Toughy and Lincoln (the location the picture was taken)
2626 Golf Rd in Glenview
Rand and Central Rds in MT Prospect
There's a builing on Dempster St. and Austin in Morton Grove which looks like it could of been a Kohl's.
EricV

Post by EricV »

The Lincolnwood Kohl's location (Kohl's Wonderful Food Stores) opened the first week of December 1973.
mikeparkridge
Contributor

Post by mikeparkridge »

LadyNoir wrote:Nope, it was definately a Kohl's according to Chicago Tribune archives.

Kohl's did have locations in Chicago. According to a 1975 advertisement. The locations were:

Central and Addison
Elston and Kimball (which prior to that was a supermarket called Mayflower and it is now split between a Family Dollar and Unique Thrift Store)
2555 W Toughy (My father used to work around the corner from here and after it's life as Kohl's it was briefly a Butera than it proceeded to sit there unattended for I believe over a decade until various auto parts places took over. First USA Parts, then PepBoys and now Auto Zone)
Are you sure about the Harlem Ave. LOcation?

I typed up the address and it says building opened there in 1981, and there was another building at that location which was a called, Community, which faced Harlem and when it closed, the building was torn down and the present building were built shortly after.
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

mikeparkridge wrote:

Central and Addison
Are you sure about the Harlem Ave. LOcation?I typed up the address and it says building opened there in 1981, and there was another building at that location which was a called, Community, which faced Harlem and when it closed, the building was torn down and the present building were built shortly after.
You might want to read earlier posts in this thread. Prospector above answers this question.
The one in my neighborhood was on Harlem near Lawrence, attached to a Community Discount Center. It was not of this design.
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

prospector wrote:
Groceteria wrote:Image

7175 N. Lincoln Ave., Lincolnwood IL

This one's pretty beautiful, methinks. I vaguely remember seeing a photo of a similarly-style Jewel at some point, but I'm not 100% certain. Could just be a very nice independent or some other chain. Ideas welcome.
I can tell you that all the stores of this design were built as Kohl's Food Stores in the Chicago area. There are quite a few still around, as you point out, they are a very unique design. Kohl's bought out the Mayflower chain in the Chicago area, as I remember it would probably be late 60's. The one in my neighborhood was on Harlem near Lawrence, attached to a Community Discount Center. It was not of this design. This is the same Kohl's chain that is better known as a food chain in Wisconsin (they pulled out of Illinois probably by the early 70's by my memory), and also the same Kohl's that today is known all over the country as the clothing and home goods chain. The Kohl family owns the Milwaukee Bucks, and Senator Herb Kohl of Wisconsin is the patriarch of the family.
I also had read years ago that the family also had a hand in developing the Kohl's Children's Musuem in Wilmette, IL. A friend's husband has worked here for a while.
dballman

Post by dballman »

I worked at the Kohl's in Schaumburg, IL from 1979-1984 (from it being a Kohl's and then transitioning into being an Eagle).
Ours did have more glass on the front. Here is a local history ariticle on it and small photo;
http://ourlocalhistory.wordpress.com/20 ... ery-store/
rvwalton
Contributor

Post by rvwalton »

mikeparkridge wrote:

Central and Addison
Are you sure about the Harlem Ave. LOcation?

I typed up the address and it says building opened there in 1981, and there was another building at that location which was a called, Community, which faced Harlem and when it closed, the building was torn down and the present building were built shortly after.
Like prospector, I grew up near the Harlem Avenue Kohl's (closer to the Higgins/Foster Kroger/Dominick's/Osco/CVS and Higgins & Nagle Del Farm/Golden Flame/CVS). The original building that housed the Community Discount and Kohl's (formerly Mayflower) was demolished after Community closed. A shopping center, which housed a K-Mart, Marshalls, and various other stores) was built in its place. K-Mart relocated to the former Venture location at Norridge Commons (about a half mile south) and Value City replaced K-Mart.