Early Tully's Coffee outlets in Supermarkets

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

marshd1000
Veteran

Early Tully's Coffee outlets in Supermarkets

Post by marshd1000 »

I know that there are currently Tully's Coffee shops in some Fred Meyer, Albertsons, Safeway and Top Foods outlets. I know that most of them are "licensed concept" stores. Not sure about the ones in Top Foods as I had not been in a Top that had a Tully's. So while we know the present supermarket operations that Tully's has involvements in, were there other supermarkets that had a Tully's? I am asking because I actually do remember ONE early supermarket based Tully's. It was in Stock Market Foods in Burien on 4th Ave SW. It was the first Tully's I had ever seen. This early supermarket Tully's maybe only last a year or two at most. From what I remembered, it was not a licensed concept store. I believe that Tully's actually operated it. It also had a different logo than what the company currently has. It was the only Tully's that I had seen until they really started to grow. But aside from the Burien Stock Market, were there other early Tully's supermarket outlets?
storewanderer
Veteran

Re: Early Tully's Coffee outlets in Supermarkets

Post by storewanderer »

I know a lot of the Fry's Marketplace locations in AZ have had Kroger-licensed Tully's inside for quite a while... I think Supervalu put Tully's into some Albertsons in WA/OR too.

I think the Tully's Shops are bankrupt and have been sold to someone. I am not sure where this leaves the licensees.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Tully's was purchased last month in bankruptcy court by a group being led by actor Patrick Dempsey (most notable for his role on Grey's Anatomy) with the intent of trying to turn things around. A group led by Starbucks actually had a higher bid with intent to rebrand most stores to Starbucks, but the bankruptcy court went with the slighly lower bid. Patrick Dempsey has made himself very visible in this effort, making appearances at a number of shops during the bidding process and making clear his intent to try to keep them going.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

I was particularly talking about 1990's Tully's supermarket operations. I know that currently there are some in the Kroger owned stores like Fred Meyer and Fry's, plus Albertsons and Safeway. So anything from the 90's other than the early Burien Stock Market location?