What era is this Safeway lettering from? (Casper, Wyoming)

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

What era is this Safeway lettering from? (Casper, Wyoming)

Post by TheStranger »

While looking up some of the Safeway locations that are slated to be sold to Haggen, I found this one in Casper, WY:

https://goo.gl/maps/OzrwH

It seems to be a compressed version of the font used in the late-70s/early-80s (before the switchover to the square S).
Chris Sampang
Super S
Veteran

Re: What era is this Safeway lettering from? (Casper, Wyomin

Post by Super S »

I briefly lived in Casper in the very early 80s, and have been to that Safeway. It's fairly old, and if memory serves correctly is a Marina store. Makes me wonder if they re-used the old sign during a remodel, because that sure looks like the older font widely used before they went to the squared logo.

FYI, the Wyoming stores are not going to Haggen, but are going to Associated Food Stores:

http://www.albertsons.com/wp-content/up ... reList.pdf

Interesting that Albertsons appears to be the brand favored in Casper. It seemed like Safeway had a stronger presence there.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

This is just a guess but the SAFEWAY sign appears to be original to the store and that font was commonly used in late 60's and early 70's. The street sign, liquor sign and square S were typical of the mid 80's while the FOOD & DRUG signs appeared during the 90's. So it's likely the signs have been added at different times during the store's history.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

I had another chance to look at that satellite view tonight. An interesting note is that, further southwest on CY Ave. there is a former Kmart/Buttrey shopping center, where the parking lot connects to a fairly new looking Walmart. The Kmart is now Sutherlands Lumber, but I can't tell what is in the former Buttrey, if anything. There is also a Smith's not far away. As well as a much newer looking Albertsons very close.

Despite what I posted earlier, I am not so sure now that particular Safeway was a Marina store. I do know that the other Casper Safeway location was built around the mid to late 80s and replaced an older store which might have been the Marina store I was thinking of. I was only in first grade when I lived in Casper so my memory is fuzzy.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

There was a Safeway in a Denver suburb with this font. That store (now out of business) flowed like a modern Safeway from anywhere in the 1988-1995 construction range: 9617 Ralston, Arvada.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/