Lawsuit Threat

This forum is for announcements about the site and the board, "how to" information, etc. Some topics will allow discussion, and some may have polls, but only moderators may post new topics.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Lawsuit Threat

Post by Groceteria »

Want to lose faith in the concept of human decency? Read about how yer humble host was threatened with a lawsuit over the weekend based on an innocuous statement I made about a chain that ceased to exist several decades ago:

http://www.groceteria.com/journal/2008/04.html#042108

Of course, I didn't take his threat too seriously, because he obviously has no case. And in fact, I did make a small edit to the page (albeit not the one he demanded) in the interest of accuracy and clarity. But it made me mad, and a little sad, that someone would threaten me this way. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Lawsuit Threat

Post by Andrew T. »

Oh, gee! Sorry to hear about that...

I did like your response letter, though; especially the last three paragraphs. It might be interesting to see the person's facial expression while reading them.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I'm not even going to comment on the grammar of the letter, lest I be threatened with a lawsuit as well...
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The really sad thing, though, is that if he'd just emailed me politely and mentioned that he had some corrections and clarifications, I not only would have made them without hesitation, but I also would have tried to talk to him further. I imagine he probably has some interesting information and stories, and I might even have immortalized his family in their own feature article, where he'd have had the last word, as it were.

As it stands now, though, I don't care what he has to say, and I don't want to get within a hundred miles of him.
DanG
Contributor

Post by DanG »

This is great,
"I assure you that I meant no disrespect to your family. I'm sure that they were very good and hardworking men who deserve my respect, and they have it. Men from that era were members of a generation that fought its battles honorably, rather than by threatening to sue anyone who managed to upset them."

Don't let let this fool bother you, I and many others enjoy the site.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

After a few months working in IT for a large law firm, I can understand the sue-happy culture. I made a lot of money from it. I left it because I remembered that I hated lawyers. This guy is one reason why.

I think that this site provides the most comprehensive supermarket history of any site on the net. No site is perfect, and I think this guy is still carrying a chip on his shoulder about his family's former company. He should get over it. I'd have emailed David with the correct information and thanked him for the FREE service he's provided for over 10 years. I wouldn't host a site for free; I'd want money because I know what it costs. My hat's off to you, David. You have a lot more free time than I do :)
Scott Greer
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

I find it repulsive that this induvidual had the audacity to even demand what he did in such a manner. Judging by his grammer alone, he is an very ignorant person. Everyone on here appreciates your work you put into this site and to have this person threaten you with such nonsense makes him truly pathetic.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Hooray for David.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Thanks to all for the supportive comments. As an update, the charmer has not gotten in touch with me again, which is fine with me...