Williams Brothers

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Phil53

Williams Brothers

Post by Phil53 »

In the 80's movie "My Blue Heaven", Steve Martin plays a crook (supposedly set in San Diego) who in the end changes his image in the community by actually building the ballpark he promised for charity. There was a funny moment with Martin stealing the price scanner so that all his groceries came out less than a dollar.

I just found out from a local newspaper that the grocery store and plaza was filmed in Laguna Lake Plaza, San Luis Obispo, CA on 1314 Madonna Road.

She's guessing that it used to be a "Williams Brothers" and is now a remodeled Albertsons.

Can anybody tell me anything about Wiliams Brothers Supermarket and their history? Was it local or California regional? Any and all comments about "Williams Brothers" is helpful.
romleys
Veteran

Williams Bros.

Post by romleys »

There was a small chain of stores in the east bay called Williams Bros. The stores were located in a former Safeway @ 1125 Park St. in Alameda, CA (Now the Party Warehouse), a former Louis Store @ 4100 Peralta Blvd. in Fremont (demolished and/or heavily rebuilt into a chinese restaurant), and (possibly) in a former Russell's Market @ 4364 Piedmont Ave. in Oakland, CA.
I am not sure if this is the same Williams Bros. chain although I read a newspaper article from the 1960's that the chain wanted to expand throughout the area. Although unlikely this could have reached to San Luis Obispo, CA.
Charles H:)
steps
Veteran

Vons owned Williams Bros....??

Post by steps »

where was a williams bros. store located...? what type of store was it...?? upscale,middle class,etc....ive never heard of this chain buty i was reading a company profile and Vons and it mentioned they owned these williams bros. stores!! anyone have any info on this...???

thanks!!!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
mfricke
Contributor

Williams Bros.

Post by mfricke »

I do remember Williams Bros. They were a Central Coast grocery chain that operated in northern Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo (and maybe some other?) counties. I am familiar with the city of Santa Maria, and one of their former stores is still operating as a Vons, the one on East Main St. There was another very, very small store, on south Broadway near the Santa Maria Airport, that looked like it was out of the 1940's, that operated as a Vons for a very short while, before being sold. It is now operating as a Spencer's Fine Foods Market. For a while, at least, there were still the red Bakery and Deli signs on the outside that Vons put up. There were actually many Williams' Bros. markets throughout the Five Cities area, Lompoc, and the towns north of SLO. I remember seeing them as a kid, but I do not remember exactly where they were. The new Vons on the south side of SLO, also near their airport, was also an old Williams Bros, I believe, before the old store was torn down to be replaced by a new store about 10 years ago. The Vons trucks even carried their logo for a while, along with Tianguis (sp?), Pavilions, etc., when they tried to diversify their labels during the Bill Davila era.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

wow thanks for the info!! does anyone out there have any pics of these stores when they were williams bros....?? do u know if the stores had the Vons look...?? thanks!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Cartman

Williams Brothers

Post by Cartman »

The store in My Blue Heaven was indeed Willams Bros. It was a family chain on the Central California Coast (I think about 22 stores) between Paso Robles and Lompoc, CA. It was sold to Vons around 1991 and the name was eventually changed to Vons.

It was distinct in that the box persons [u]always[/u] carted your groceries to your car.
Dean
Veteran

Williams Brothers Markets--California Central Coast

Post by Dean »

Williams Brothers had eighteen (18) stores. The locations stretched from Santa Barbara to Paso Robles. They were ultimately acquired by VONS in 1991. Anyone have history about the chain?

I went to Cal Poly...and remember their ANNOYING television/radio commericals "What a Difference...What a Difference...What a Difference Williams Brothers Markets can make!"

Their former location @ 1314 Los Osos Valley Road was used in the 1990 Steve Martin movie MY BLUE HEAVEN. The actors walked through the store and filmed some shots. Parking lot as well I believe. This location is now an Albertsons.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Williams Brothers Markets--California Central Coast

Post by Dean »

Any history prior to VONS' acquisition would be great!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Williams Brothers

Post by Groceteria »

Topics merged per request...
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Groceteria wrote:Topics merged per request...
thanks!

Had been thinking of the chain recently.

Last time I was in San Luis Obispo...I stopped at the original Jamba Juice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamba_Juice

While in the parking lot, noticed the old Williams Brothers across the street on Foothill. Trying to recall what it currently is...I believe it was a smaller, independent/health food store.

Across the street and down a bit is a Lucky turned Albertsons.

Anyway, with Brothers in the name, I assume the Brothers started the chain. Yet, don't recall much else. Can't seem to find anything on the net.

Who else remembers this chain?!

thanks!
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

I was in San Luis Obispo 1994-1999, and I recall Vons opening their new store.

The old "south" store was 3600 Broad St. I'm guessing it was a Williams Bros. based on its age, and the fact that I saw shopping carts mixed in with the Vons ones at this store. It was a standalone store, somewhat off on its own, but it was convenient to the southern part of SLO.

The new store is at 3900 Broad St., and it opened in a development with an inline Sav-on and some other tenants. The Vons opened July 16, 1997.

The Foothill Blvd. store was definitely a former Williams Bros. based on licensing. Its address is 896 E. Foothill Blvd., and it is now an independent natural foods market.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Scene from MY BLUE HEAVEN...filmed @ Williams Bros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tncd84NYJ1Y
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Found the following, which announced the closing of the Morro Bay VONS in August 2007.

It mentions how the site had been a Williams Brothers.

The pictures depict the typical Williams Brothers facades.

http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?s=6918523
Dean
Veteran

Re: Williams Brothers Markets--California Central Coast

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:Williams Brothers had eighteen (18) stores. The locations stretched from Santa Barbara to Paso Robles. They were ultimately acquired by VONS in 1991. Anyone have history about the chain?

I went to Cal Poly...and remember their ANNOYING television/radio commericals "What a Difference...What a Difference...What a Difference Williams Brothers Markets can make!"

Their former location @ 1314 Los Osos Valley Road was used in the 1990 Steve Martin movie MY BLUE HEAVEN. The actors walked through the store and filmed some shots. Parking lot as well I believe. This location is now an Albertsons.
The Los Osos Valley Road site is now Spencer's.