Mayfair: 1970 San Francisco Bay Area Locations

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

wrallen99
Contributor

Re: Mayfair: 1970 San Francisco Bay Area Locations

Post by wrallen99 »

Karen, thanks for your detailed memories. When I look at that area, I always wondered what kind of grocery store used to be in the building, and now I know it way the Mayfair. It is really interesting to know where the first Mervyn's was, too.

What used to be along the Via Mercado edge?
oldskooler

Post by oldskooler »

i grew up in san lorenzo in the 1970s. moved there in '72. as far as i ever remember (even in '72) there was a Romley's and no Mayfaire. Once, around 1972/73 the owners of Romleys had sponsored or somehow managed to get "the world's tallest man" to make an appearance at Romleys. I remember that My pops took me down there to meet the guy and get a photo.

my friend's brother used to work at the Romley's in the 70s, and we (my friend and i) would collect the shopping carts for him in exchange for an apple or a can of soda.

the Romleys was also along the Halloween Itinerary of my group - we could always count on dropping in there on halloween night for a free apple - one of the beautiful things abotu "mom and pop" owned stores!

on the Via Mercado Street that fronted the "lorenzo village square" was a Denevi Camera (i think it MIGHT have been the original)

there was also a Kavanaugh Liquors (still there) on the corner of hesperian/via mercado

the Lorenzo Theater is across the street and THAT place used to be cool-io. 2 movie matinees (with cartoon and a special 'race' where, if your ticket number (0-9) came up, you got a buck back (price of admission).

it's sad to see that this whole area has become something of a ghost-town.
Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

The Daily Review (Hayward, Calif.) reports that demolition of the former Romley's Market (previously a Mayfair Market?) in San Lorenzo is imminent:

"Across the street at the San Lorenzo Village Square, demolition is scheduled by June of several structures built by Bohannon's grandfather in the 1940s, including the former home of Romley's Market at the corner of Paseo Grande and Hesperian Boulevard, and the building behind Kavanagh Liquors on Via Mercado, once home to Denevi Camera and Sanwa Bank California."

See: http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci ... ource=jBar