Former Alpha Beta stores in the City of La Puente

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Former Alpha Beta stores in the City of La Puente

Post by luckysaver »

If I correctly recall, the City of La Puente (between West Covina and Industry) had 3 Alpha Beta stores (excludes the area that many people also call La Puente - Workman Mill-Don Julian).

- Glendora Ave and Old Valley (southern end of "Historic Old Town Puente") - vacant lot (according to Google Earth). The parcel is actually in City of Industry. When the store first opened, the lot was in "Puente" since Industry was not incorporated.

- Hacienda Blvd near Fairgrove - was Northgate Gonzales Supermarket (closed because they
opened in the ex-Hughes at Glendora Ave and the ex-Max Foods on Francisquito and Sunset)
I think this became a Federated Group electronics store in the 1980's before becoming Northgate.

- Valley Blvd and Azusa Way - currently Bodega R Ranch Market. Pleasant Family Shopping. Historically, Azusa Way was the southern end of Pass-Covina Road. (Store 11, 17305 East Valley Blvd.) There is also a restaurant at the corner adjacent to the bridge that resembled a Steak Corral or a Van De Kamp's.

I visited the Valley Blvd store this morning - looks similar to the Chino Rio Rancho Market in
the interior. The only remnant of it being an AB is most of the exterior of the building (as well as the adjacent shopping center) and the tall sign that sits atop the building. Inside is modern, with a small setup, narrow shopping aisles heavy on groceries and much less emphasis on non-food. The deli is primarily a carneceria with tortillaria and a hot coffee bar. Wide produce department that takes up about a third of the store. In other words, it looks like Mexico inside. There is also an independent agent at his own desk selling phone cards to Mexico and South America along with knick knacks/small toys. I believe this location opened between 1955 and 1957.

luckysaver
Attachments
Valley.jpg
Valley.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
Last edited by luckysaver on 10 Dec 2008 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Former Alpha Beta stores in the City of La Puente

Post by Dean »

The Hacienda Boulevard site had become a AB-owned Hispanic market for a time. AB/Yucaipa, (whomever!) had started the sub-chain in response to VONS' TIANGUIS.

The Hughes site mentioned was originally Market Basket. The Max Foods site was originally Thriftimart.

The Valley Boulevard site had become JAX for years.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Dean wrote:The Hacienda Boulevard site had become a AB-owned Hispanic market for a time. AB/Yucaipa, (whomever!) had started the sub-chain in response to VONS' TIANGUIS.
Are you referring to VIVA? I'm not sure Tianguis came first. The VIVA stores were very different. They were basically just conventionally sized stores that had been operating under THE BOYS name in Latino neighborhoods that were converted to this brand.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

klkla wrote:
Dean wrote:The Hacienda Boulevard site had become a AB-owned Hispanic market for a time. AB/Yucaipa, (whomever!) had started the sub-chain in response to VONS' TIANGUIS.
Are you referring to VIVA? I'm not sure Tianguis came first. The VIVA stores were very different. They were basically just conventionally sized stores that had been operating under THE BOYS name in Latino neighborhoods that were converted to this brand.
Yes, VIVA, thanks! I thought of the name later.

Yes, also, I believe it had been tied to The Boys...yet, think they ultimately fell into the AB/Yucaipa soiree at one point!
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The Bodega R Ranch #11 store that I posted above is a definite match to an Alpha Beta picture found at pleasantfamilyshopping. This "La Puente" unit of Alpha Beta opened sometime between 1955 and 1957. The giveaway is the sign above the building (picture courtesy of Pleasant Family Shopping).

luckysaver
Attachments
ablapuente57.jpg
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

On my way to Ed Butts Ford (former Abbott Ford in the late 1970's) earlier this afternoon, I took a glance at the former AB on Hacienda and Fairgrove. Recently it was Northgate Gonzales - closed because they acquired the former Thriftimart/Max Foods on Francisquito and Sunset (West Covina) and moved into the old Hughes on Hacienda and Glendora. This store continues to be a supermarket, now called Plaza Supermarket (hispanic).

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:On my way to Ed Butts Ford (former Abbott Ford in the late 1970's) earlier this afternoon, I took a glance at the former AB on Hacienda and Fairgrove. Recently it was Northgate Gonzales - closed because they acquired the former Thriftimart/Max Foods on Francisquito and Sunset (West Covina) and moved into the old Hughes on Hacienda and Glendora. This store continues to be a supermarket, now called Plaza Supermarket (hispanic).

luckysaver
There used to be a Thrifty in the center immediately to the left of the old AB. Is the center still going?

Also, the La Puente name sparked a high school Spanish memory...

In Spanish, it really should be EL Puente. Meaning the bridge. Yet, the area was originally La Ciudad de el Puente (the city of the bridge).

It was simply shortened to La Puente.

I checked the city's site...yet, don't see this tidbit listed!

http://www.lapuente.org/alp_discover.htm