Ralphs Giant/Former Zody's Locations

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Ralphs Giant/Former Zody's Locations

Post by luckysaver »

(Split from the West Covina thread--Moderator)

Anybody have a list of the 14-16 Ralphs Giant superstore locations in SoCal? This would be helpful in my San Gabriel Valley research. I know one of them is now the Food4Less (previously Zodys) on 615 Azusa in West Covina.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Historical Ralphs subsidiaries

Post by Jeff »

luckysaver wrote:Anybody have a list of the 14-16 Ralphs Giant superstore locations in SoCal? This would be helpful in my San Gabriel Valley research. I know one of them is now the Food4Less (previously Zodys) on 615 Azusa in West Covina.

luckysaver
I think due to the size of the store, most were former Zodys stores that did not have a market in the center.

Some I remember:
Norwalk on Imperial (now f4l)
Pomona on Holt (became Ralphs then closed, now a school)
Fullerton on Orangethorpe (now f4l that recently closed)
Carson on Sepulveda and 110 ((now f4l))

Look at the list of the former Zody's and determine which are F4L stores now or still a market.
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Add 121 N. Beach Blvd., Anaheim as a converted Zodys. Now F4L.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

East Los Angeles on East First Street, former Zodys now a Food 4 Less.
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Ralphs Giant/Former Zody's Locations

Post by runchadrun »

I split this off of the West Covina thread...

I believe the only former Zody's/Giant that is now a Ralphs, as opposed to a F4L, is the one on Redondo Beach Blvd near the South Bay Galleria.

Here's some other posts with some information about Zody's
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... f=27&t=927
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... f=27&t=114
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=139 (Look on page 4 for some store locations)
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Add to the list Hollywood: Sunset Blvd at Western Ave.

Was a movie studio before a Zody's, then a Giant, now a Food4Less.
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

The first Ralphs Giant (called "The Giant") was a new build in Bakersfield on Stockdale Hwy. just west of Hwy. 99. The store was huge for its time, in the 70,000 SF range. I opened in 1985, prior to the Zody's real estate aquiaition, and was an absolute failure. It was closed by 1987, and became a Kmart, which has also closed.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Most Zodys stores were about 80,000 sq feet. that's why they split off rooms for Anna's Linens, some had Thrifty Jr's. and other small stores.
mike t. whittier ca
Contributor

Post by mike t. whittier ca »

in santa ana on Grand ave & 17th street. A former zodys which turned into a ralphs/giant. now its a food 4 less.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

OK folks, since this was quickly turning from a Giant thread to a Zody's thread, I moved the Zody's-specific posts over to this existing Zody's thread over on the Department Stores board: http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a If you have something specific to Zody's, then post away over there.

Let's keep this thread specific to Zody's stores that became Giant/Ralphs/Food4Less stores.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

As an update to the Zody's-The Giant by Ralphs-Ralphs-Food4Less store on the corner of Beach Blvd & Lincoln Ave in Anaheim, the store lost its tall facade a couple years ago, and after sitting as a shell since then, has been split. The Thrifty store has been expanded more into the former Giant store (a second time, as the original Thrifty was a Thrifty Jr. in the early days of Ralphs' "The Giant" concept before being expanded into a full-service Thrifty when the store was rebranded as a Ralphs) and the new tenant has finally been revealed as a Walmart Neighborhood Market. The right side of the floorspace still remains undeveloped at this time.

Point of reference note: looking at the parking lot lights, the center point of the large Zody's canopy would have been lined up with the floodlights on the pole in between the two parking lot masts closest to the storefront.

==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"