Albertsons, 140 W 40th St, San Bernardino

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

klkla
Veteran

Albertsons, 140 W 40th St, San Bernardino

Post by klkla »

Moderator note: This is split from another thread:
Dean wrote:Shopped the Albertsons in San Bernardino CA today. It is located @ 140 W 40th St San Bernardino 92407.

Clerk stated that it was just announced that the store will close 8/1.

Site never truly recovered from the last labor dispute. Shoppers began shopping @ the Stater Brothers across the street...and never returned.

Comically, even a remodel really never brought the folks in. Truly is a nice location. Has self-check.

This site had been a LUCKY. Prior to LUCKY...I have heard conflicting stories. Some have said a MAYFAIR.

Anyone have history for this location? thanks!
There used to be three supermarkets at that intersection. I believe the former Lucky was a Market Basket but not 100% sure. Stater Bros. was accross the street and an Alpha Beta at the other corner. I think Stater Bros built a new store on the site where the Alpha Beta was and closed their original store (but again not 100% sure).
Dean
Veteran

Re: Albertsons, 140 W 40th St, San Bernardino

Post by Dean »

klkla wrote:Moderator note: This is split from another thread:
Dean wrote:Shopped the Albertsons in San Bernardino CA today. It is located @ 140 W 40th St San Bernardino 92407.

Clerk stated that it was just announced that the store will close 8/1.

Site never truly recovered from the last labor dispute. Shoppers began shopping @ the Stater Brothers across the street...and never returned.

Comically, even a remodel really never brought the folks in. Truly is a nice location. Has self-check.

This site had been a LUCKY. Prior to LUCKY...I have heard conflicting stories. Some have said a MAYFAIR.

Anyone have history for this location? thanks!
There used to be three supermarkets at that intersection. I believe the former Lucky was a Market Basket but not 100% sure. Stater Bros. was accross the street and an Alpha Beta at the other corner. I think Stater Bros built a new store on the site where the Alpha Beta was and closed their original store (but again not 100% sure).
Yes, there were three (3) at one time at that intersection. The Alpha Beta was closed, and ultimately burned down. It was finally replaced by Staters. The former Staters is now sitting vacant. They own the store. 99 Cent Only Stores has wanted to move in...yet, Staters won't allow it...given the competition.

The Staters/Alpha Beta center could be under the "two stores in one center" thread. They were essentially in the same center...solely separated by a T G & Y and a Thrifty Drug.

Back to the LUCKY/Albertsons/?...yes, I heard possibly Market Basket as well. Comically, nobody can remember...as it had been LUCKY for so long.

Incidentally, the DELI, BAKERY signs on the front of the store are the old LUCKY signage.

Let's solve this mystery!

thanks!
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

This location does not appear on my Lucky/Gemco location list dated 3/86.
Given that, I doubt that it was a former Market Basket unless it was dark for several years.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Just called the pharmacy to have my prescriptions refilled.

The number is now answered @ Walgreens across the street.

So much for Sav-on...We'll always be here!
Last edited by Dean on 10 Jul 2007 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

According to a 4/19/1959 LA Times article, the store at 140 W 40th St opened as a Market Basket. It was 33,600 sq ft and was the 43rd unit in the chain. As of 1977 it was still a Market Basket. That is the last reference I could find to it in an ad.

It's possible that it became a Smith's Food King in 1982 and then became a Lucky in 1984 (which is what happened with my local MB) but I don't see it on my list of those stores, though the list only goes as far as east as Upland.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Spoke with a clerk @ the store...and she stated that a LONG TIME shopper stated that she had shopped at the site since it opened as Market Basket. Prior to that...the customer remembered orange groves!

The vacant Staters across the street ALMOST became a San Bernardino Police sub-station recently. Yet, they are not going to do so after all. Possibly may become a health club.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Store is closed.

Rumor has it...that it will become an independent Hispanic market. We shall see...

Stater Brothers across the street just completed a remodel.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Nothing must be set for another retailer...as there a sign on the store stating "if interested or need the keys...go to/contact the Highland store".

Now that the Albertsons letters have been removed...LUCKY scars can be seen.

In paper today...bookstore in the center is closing after 34yrs. Yes, the owner wants to retire. Yet, I am sure the closing of the store only adds to the decision.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Noticed the liquor license change on the door.

Site is becoming CARDENAS.

Chain is quick to acquire vacant sites.

See link below, check out the various facades of their sites:

http://www.cardenasmarkets.com/Locations.aspx

The Fontana location (#7) had been VONS. VONS relocated within Fontana.

Hesperia (#19) had been Albertsons.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Cardenas #8 used to be a Price Club / Costco before it relocated to Chino Hills. It only takes part of the space, the rest is a swap meet.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Looks as tho they are going to do construction/remodeling inside.

Albertsons had just remodeled a few years ago!

The doors were open yesterday...and it looks like a construction banner on top. Will drive by again, and get a better view.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

When I drove by it a few weeks ago, it looked like nothing was occuring.

My friend lives off D St there, so I'm there a lot.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

They are gutting the entire inside. Pulling out concrete and all.

Thought they would just move in as-is.

I'd say still months out before opening.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Construction STILL ensues!

Noticed the liquor license on the door was filed 11/20/07.

It MAY be open by 11/20/08!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

It is now open...and sincerely...worth the wait!

Drove by today, and saw the signs GRAN APERTURA!

MUY impressed! They truly gave the place quite a remodel. The tortillera and deli/restaurant-style counter is amazing. Really nice seating area to enjoy your meal.

Funny tho...with all the remodeling...you can still see the labelscarS for LUCKY, Albertsons, and Sav-On pharmacy. You'd think they'd slap a bit of stucco up there!

They are very wise...and are blanketing the mountain communities with their advertisement/mailer. Comically, when it was LUCKY I worked with the manager to have the ad sent to the mountains. It FINALLY was. Albertson's continued thereafter.

When you are in the area Jeff...be sure to swing by the site!