Unusual supermarkets in La Canada Flintridge and Glendale

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Unusual supermarkets in La Canada Flintridge and Glendale

Post by luckysaver »

Yesterday, I visited 3 stores in La Canada Flintridge/Glendale area. These all have rather odd features not usually exhibited by their sister stores within the same chains.

- Vons #143 on Foothill Blvd in LCF between the Glendale Freeway (State Route 2) and the Foothill Freeway (I-210). This store, opened in the late 1970's along with the rest of the shopping center, retained the Bill Davilla-era Red & White decor. It reminded me of my neighborhood store (Walnut) in the early 1990's before the remodel <liquor on left, produce on right>. Even the shopping carts date back to the 1980's. The only Safeway-esque features include store branded merchandise, some small signages, and employee uniforms. The rather small meat department reminds me of the Metropole store in Avalon (Catalina, the island's only major supermarket).

- Ralphs #632 on Glendale Ave and Verdugo Road, south of Glendale Community College in Glendale. This store, a former Alpha Beta, is unusual in three ways: first, the interior shape is an oddly shaped diamond because the land is a v-shaped. Second, it has a village type decor package that is like a hybrid between the decor packages of Albertsons (Quality Guaranteed decor) and Ralphs Fresh Fare. Third, the grocery store is actually the second floor of an existing almost subterranean building - either a small parking garage or street level apartments. Note that at that corner, Glendale Ave has a higher elevation than Verdugo Road.

-Ralphs Fresh Fare #55, Foothill and Gould in LCF. This store has always been a Ralphs. Yes it has the fresh fare feeling but not as upscale as #609 (former Skaggs Alpha Beta) in the Canyon Crest section of Riverside, rather it is closer to being a regular Ralphs store. I think it is a hybrid between an upscale FF and a regular Ralphs. The decor package is village style and the only thing I thought was "upscale" was the Boars Head products and some gourmet deli items at the Service Deli.

luckysaver
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Unusual supermarkets in La Canada Flintridge and Glendale

Post by Groceteria »

Interesting, but please let's keep any follow-up centered on the historical aspects of these stores rather than on discussion their current statuses.

Thanks,
David
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

luckysaver wrote:- Vons #143 on Foothill Blvd in LCF between the Glendale Freeway (State Route 2) and the Foothill Freeway (I-210).
Is this the store at 635 W Foothill Blvd? If so, it's a former Alexander's Market, I believe the last Alexander's in the chain and Vons took it over in 1977. It was built between 1967 and 1970 as a replacement Alexander's store for one that was demolished to make way for the 210 freeway.

See http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =27&t=1192 for more on Alexander's.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Yes, Chad, Vons 143 is the one at 635 Foothill. I was surprised to see that it still had the Davilla-era interior and that layout similar to the early 1990's that several stores sported.

The Ralphs FF and the Vons are the only major chain grocers on this stretch of Foothill between the 210 junction near JPL and the entrance to State Route 2 South (Glendale Fwy).
Note that there is another Ralphs store off Gould Ave, this being Ralphs store #1.

The liquor license data shows Vons being a license holder since 1978.

The small Rite Aid next door to Vons on the left - was that a Thrifty or Savon? The TJMaxx in the other building could also have been a former drugstore.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The TJMaxx was actually a Buffum's Department Store. The lower level being TJMaxx and the upper level being a church I beleive.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The TJ Maxx building looks kind of small and rather boxy to have been a Buffum's.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

It was though. Buffums stores were rather small stores, only 50-80k square feet. I think the Long Beach flagship, and Pomona stores were the biggest.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

luckysaver wrote:The small Rite Aid next door to Vons on the left - was that a Thrifty or Savon?
Originally it was an independent pharmacy called Jundt's. It was Jundt's until at least 1992. Thrifty got a liquor license at that address in 1997.