La Mirada Market Basket location questions

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

GaryED44
Contributor

La Mirada Market Basket location questions

Post by GaryED44 »

(Topics merged by moderator)

I found an old map of the La Mirada mall that used to be at Roscrans and La Mirada blvd and it shows a Market Basket next to the Bowling alley.. on adelphia I think Is this correct? I always thought that location was a Vons or Lucky or something

thank you

Gary
Last edited by GaryED44 on 25 Jan 2009 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
surfingdude
Contributor

Re: Market Basket location question

Post by surfingdude »

I found an old map of the La Mirada mall that used to be at Roscrans and La Mirada blvd and it shows a Market Basket next to the Bowling alley.. on adelphia I think Is this correct? I always though that location was a Vons or Lucky or something.
Gary: Not sure if this is the location you question, but 15200 E. Rosecrans Ave. was Lucky #456. Judging from the store number, this would have been opened or built 1965-66.
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

The map can be accessed here

http://www.ourlamirada.com/businesses/lmmall63w.html

it also shows a "Hiram's Market" in the same shopping center, I've never heard of them at all

Gary
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

GaryED44,

Hiram's was a chain acquired by Lucky in 1957-58. That is how that store mentioned above became a Lucky.

The Albertsons-Savon on Workman and Citrus in West Covina (Eastland) first opened in 1957 as Hiram's (at the same time Eastland Mall opened) and was rebranded as Lucky in the early 1960's.

luckysaver
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

Thanks Guys

that cleared up a lot. I also had no idea there was a Western auto in La Mirada at one time

Gary
GaryED44
Contributor

Seeking confirmation about possible Market Basket Location

Post by GaryED44 »

Acording to a map I found online from the 50's there was a Market Basket in the La Mirada area at Rosecrans and La Mirada Blvd Near Adelphia. A couple of people have told me that this Post office

Is the former Market Basket, can anyone comfirm this?

Thank you
Gary
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Seeking confirmation about possible Market Basket Location

Post by Jeff »

I recall seeing something that the Market Basket was further down where the Pep Boys is now on Rosecrans and Valley View. I saw it on a website that had nothing on it but memories of La Mirada. This building still stands today.
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: La Mirada Market Basket location questions

Post by runchadrun »

Based on the information I've found, I believe the post office has always been a post office, while the Market Basket was demolished and replaced by homes.

According to this list of Market Basket locations http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... 698&p=4230 there was a Market Basket at 14949 Adelfa, but the post office is at 14901 Adelfa. The grand opening of the MB was in March 1961 as part of the La Mirada Shopping Center. This was a 113-acre shopping center which included an Ohrbach's and Barker Brothers. Apparently the shopping center currently on Rosecrans and La Mirada Blvd was a part of this shopping center. The MB was in business until mid-1982, around the time Kroger sold off MB piece by piece then it became a Service Merchandise. Based on the news reports, and historicaerials.com a large section of the shopping center was demolished and the land subdivided in the late 1990s and the homes around the post office were built.

As for the post office itself, I could only find a reference from 1956 to a post office being a part of the shopping center. I found a 1981 ad for a realtor's office at 14855 as "near post office." The post office was located at 14901 Adelfa at the same time as Service Merchandise was at 14949 so I don't think the post office and the Market Basket were the same.

In response to the earlier post, there was a bowling alley at 15011 Adelfa. The Market Basket would have been between it and the post office.

The Pep Boys at Rosecrans and Valley View was also a Market Basket. It seems odd that they would have two stores so close to each other but they did. Pep Boys opened in March, 1980.
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

runchadrun wrote:Based on the information I've found, I believe the post office has always been a post office, while the Market Basket was demolished and replaced by homes.

According to this list of Market Basket locations http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... 698&p=4230 there was a Market Basket at 14949 Adelfa, but the post office is at 14901 Adelfa. The grand opening of the MB was in March 1961 as part of the La Mirada Shopping Center. This was a 113-acre shopping center which included an Ohrbach's and Barker Brothers. Apparently the shopping center currently on Rosecrans and La Mirada Blvd was a part of this shopping center. The MB was in business until mid-1982, around the time Kroger sold off MB piece by piece then it became a Service Merchandise. Based on the news reports, and historicaerials.com a large section of the shopping center was demolished and the land subdivided in the late 1990s and the homes around the post office were built.

As for the post office itself, I could only find a reference from 1956 to a post office being a part of the shopping center. I found a 1981 ad for a realtor's office at 14855 as "near post office." The post office was located at 14901 Adelfa at the same time as Service Merchandise was at 14949 so I don't think the post office and the Market Basket were the same.

In response to the earlier post, there was a bowling alley at 15011 Adelfa. The Market Basket would have been between it and the post office.

The Pep Boys at Rosecrans and Valley View was also a Market Basket. It seems odd that they would have two stores so close to each other but they did. Pep Boys opened in March, 1980.

Thanks That clears up a lot. It is weird they would have two locations so close to each other.

Gary
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

So in this aerial image from 1972

The Market Basket would be the building in the middle?

Gary
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

GaryED44 wrote:So in this aerial image from 1972
That's the same image I was looking at and I believe you are correct.
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

runchadrun wrote:
GaryED44 wrote:So in this aerial image from 1972
That's the same image I was looking at and I believe you are correct.
Thank you my friend that clears up a lot.

I just wish someone somewhere had pics of the Santa fe springs location at Telegraph and orr & Day road when it was still a MB. I have so many fond memories of that location. It was the 1st store I was allowed to go to by my self.

Gary
Larcor
Contributor

Post by Larcor »

surfingdude wrote:
I found an old map of the La Mirada mall that used to be at Roscrans and La Mirada blvd and it shows a Market Basket next to the Bowling alley.. on adelphia I think Is this correct? I always though that location was a Vons or Lucky or something.
Gary: Not sure if this is the location you question, but 15200 E. Rosecrans Ave. was Lucky #456. Judging from the store number, this would have been opened or built 1965-66.
You guys are very close. Lucky acquired this store from Hiram's in or near 1961-62. I was
working for Lucky at the time as a Store Manager in Lomita. Lucky required many of us
store managers to help in re merchandizing the 5 Hirams to the Lucky format. I was transferred to the Hiram's-Lucky #453 in Lakewood in the Lakewood Shopping Center as store manager at about this same time. The re branded Hiram stores became very high volume units for Lucky. Especially with their new discount program. The Hirams-Lucky Store #454 in Long Beach at Palos Verde and Spring St. became Lucky's highest volume unit in Southern California.
Love to talk with you guys or anyone else about their or my experiences with Lucky.
Larry Corbett
MARKetBasket71

Post by MARKetBasket71 »

I worked at that La Mirada MB a few times as vacation relief for the Produce Dept Manager, probably somewhere in maybe 75 to 79 or so. I remember that the placement of the store on the lot was different because it was back off of the road a ways and seemed to to share the parking lot with other businesses, and I wasn't used to that then. I don't remember much else about the store tho except it wasn't too far from home as I lived only a block away from MB store #22 @ Anaheim Blvd & Ball Rd.
Does anyone remember the store# of the MB store on Fairview St in N Santa Ana?, I think it is a Goodwill now?0