Rancho Cucamonga, CA chain drug store history

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Rancho Cucamonga, CA chain drug store history

Post by luckysaver »

I did some research and found the following facts about chain drug stores in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

CVS #9723 - 11428 Kenyon Way, adjacent to Albertsons. Was Savon Drugs since the 1980's. I found that in 1984, Lucky holds the rights to all Southern California Savon stores. Similar situation for #9724, 7911 Haven Ave, opened by Albertsons as a Savon Drugs in 2001. The CVS subsidiary that operates all Southern California stores (former Savon and new build CVS) in called Garfield Beach CVS LLC. Note that for all CVS stores that were Savon, maintains the same store numbers used by Albertsons between 1999-2006, the 9700 series.

Longs Drugs #273 - 7217 Haven Ave (at Baseline), opened circa 1988. Now that CVS acquired Longs, this location (if converted) would be the 3rd CVS store in RC and regulators may have to close this location due to the close proximitiy to CVS 9724. It still operates as Longs for now.

Rite Aid operates three stores in RC. All Southern California stores are operated by their subsidiary Thrifty-Payless Inc (all current Rite Aids that were former Thrifty/Thrifty Jr and Payless as well as recently built Rite Aids). These include #5586 (late '90's build) on 9650 Baseline, #5583 on 8760 19th Street (former Thrifty Drugs from 1978), and #6468 on 7339 Milliken (new build, 2006). Payless Drug, 6401 Haven was renovated to make room for Trader Joe's.

Walgreens operates two RC locations, both new builds. #5428 is on 6701 Carnelian Street. #5652, 6400 Haven Ave at the 210 Freeway.

As far as the co-op chains <independents that are part of a retailer/distributive cooperative> (Medicine Shoppe, United Drugs, Leader, Good Neighbor), RC has only one - Econo United Drugs, 9713 Baseline Road. UPDATE - According to the store's website, Econo is now part of Good Neighbor.

Local pharmacies with multiple locations in the county - Upland-based Gemmel Pharmacy, 8750 Baseline. In conjunction with Upland's San Antonio Community Hospital, they run the outpatient store at SACH's Rancho San Antonio campus, 7777 Milliken Ave. Gemmel has many locations in western part of San Bernardino County.

I couldn't find any other legacy chains that operated stores in RC besides Thrifty/Payless and Savon (Safeway SuperS, Clark, etc).

luckysaver
Last edited by luckysaver on 18 Jan 2009 14:39, edited 2 times in total.
J-Man
Veteran

Re: Rancho Cucamonga, CA chain drug store history

Post by J-Man »

I always wondered why it said "Garfield Beach" on my credit card statements for CVS purchases. Does anyone know the origin of this name? Both Garfield (Ave.) and Beach (Blvd.) are major thoroughfares in LA and Orange counties, but they don't intersect.
luckysaver
Veteran

Re: Rancho Cucamonga, CA chain drug store history

Post by luckysaver »

J-Man,

Many companies create unusual or creative names for various operating subsidiaries. I don't think "Garfield Beach" has anything to do with the two streets in Huntington Beach. I don't know where the California headquarters are but I bet it is not in Huntington Beach. CVS Caremark Corp's annual report to the SEC, in Exhibit 21.1 (issued yearly) has a list of all major operating subsidiaries and in each region of the country, CVS Pharmacy Inc operates stores in various subsidiary groups, each with some creative name - for example, the New England stores (ex Osco Drug sold by Albertsons in 2004 prior to CVS acquiring all of Osco in 2006) operates under the name of "CVS Nashua Inc".

For example, I have the complete list of approximately 100 subsidiaries of Albertsons (prior to the split). If you look at the list (which I will post in the grocery section within the next few days as a piece of Albertsons history), you might come across:

EXTREME INC

This subsidiary's (given that it is a creative name) dba is actually Albertsons' Super Saver banner.

I hope this explains the point of unusual subsidiary names showing up on your credit card bill.

luckysaver

ps
Garfield Beach is listed as an official CVS subsidiary, according to their filings with the SEC.