Target, La Habra

Moderator: Groceteria

Randy76

Target, La Habra

Post by Randy76 »

Hey all, I'm new to the field of commercial archaeology, but have been interested in it for a long time. I can't believe there are so many interested in it as well. I am a history student but attempting a personal project tracing back major shopping areas in the Greater Whitter, North OC area to be complete with pictures. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

That said, I am also an employee at Target in La Habra (Imperial Hwy at Harbor), a site which will closing in roughly July of 2008. It will be moving to the site of the old Super K (Imperial at Idaho) which I believe once was the La Habra Drive In. My question is, does anybody know what used to exist where the current Target stands? The store opened sometime in the early eighties, probably around 1983. I think there was a Zody's across the street (now Best Buy) and a Gemco right nearby (Albertson's) so I figure something must have occupied the lot prior to the Target. I am going to document the closing and move, so I was looking for hints on past businesses to search for.

Thanks,
Randy
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Target, La Habra

Post by runchadrun »

Welcome to the board! I'm moving this to the department store forum because it's not directly related to supermarkets.

I searched through the LA Times database and couldn't find anything about the Target before 1986. Target was aggressive about building new stores in OC in the mid 80s, so it's quite possible that it has always been a Target. It wasn't a Gemco, and it wasn't a Fedmart because they were at Imperial and Beach (since torn down and replaced by Smiths, now Vons).

You are correct that the Super Kmart, which opened in 1994, was built on the site of the Pacific Drive-In, which opened in 1962. It was supposedly the first Super Kmart in California.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

That store must have opened in 86 or 87. Two of my friends opened that location, one was the garden manager and the other an area manager. I was the garden manager at LaVerne and was sent there for a week to assist with setting up the nursery. I don't talk to those guys much anymore, but if I do, I'll see if they remember anything about the site. Sorry to hear its closing down.
Randy76

Post by Randy76 »

Apparently it was just orange groves prior to it being built. I wasn't able to find anything prior to about '86 either. That was when Dayton Hudson was expanding in California, and that seems to correspond with my existing memories of it. No news on what is to replace it.
Thanks for the help!
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

After looking at the maps.live.com picture of it, I'm pretty sure it was never anything but a Target. That store design was a prototype that Target was building in 1986-1987. They built them all over. I remember one being built in Longview, TX (near where I grew up) that opened around that time. It was just recently replaced as well with one of the newer prototype stores.

This design was the precursor to the Target Greatland stores. They were in the 125,000 sq. ft. range, and were a really nice design. The large, rounded corners in the front gave the stores a commanding presence as well.
Scott Greer
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

I don't have any evidence to support this, but my gut tells me this location was Target-built. We know it wasn't a former FedMart, Zodys or Gemco. 1986 makes sense as an opening date, maybe earlier in the year, otherwise Target would have likely jumped on the avaliable Gemco across the street.

The store currently features an older interior, the light grey walls with neon color-coded department wall signage (yellow, green, blue, red). One will note that the yellow neon was dropped from later Target interiors. The hanging signage is tan with black lettering and "color-bar." There are also the "pathfinder" signs that were dropped from later interior versions.

It is the same package seen in the now demolished Granada Hills Gemco/Target prior to its demise.

Another oddity of this store is the higher ceiling over the checkouts with two-way mirrors.

I'm surprised Target wants to move out of this location, its rather busy, although the former SuperK is larger - with a much larger parking lot. I wonder if Target will go fullblown and open a SuperTarget or just the current "standard" format?

Anyway ... welcome to the board Randy.
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that the Imperial Highway Target was built new for Target. I remember in the 80s when Target was new to Southern California, many locations were converted Gemcos or Fedmarts.
I grew up in North OC, and am somewhat familiar with local history. I'd like to chat more about this project.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Yes, I remember when the site was built as TARGET. Don't recall what was @ the site (if anything) prior.

It was built right PRIOR to Gemco's demise. As Target gobbled up Gemco locations, this site HAD JUST opened.

The Gemco became Lucky, then Albertsons.

Zodys became KMart. When the SuperK was built, it became Best Buy. Have always enjoyed the traffic light/sign at that center. I believe it is the first light east of Harbor. Doesn't the street sign/light state Mervyn's Plaza...or something similar?! Funny how a city-owned sign would have this.

The "gentelmen's club" across the street from the current Target was a huge Mercury Savings.
Randy76

Post by Randy76 »

The strip club across the street was just bought out by the city for a hefty price a couple of months ago. Haven't heard what is going up in its place. They took down the sign and vacated. It is still a prosperous corner and I assume Howard's which a couple of doors down has an interest in keeping it that way. I didn't know about the Mercury Savings which existed there previously. Didn't know about Best Buy being KMart either. Thanks for the info! Yes, the city street light bears the Mervyn's name on the sign, Mervyn's Way, I think. It does stick out because it isn't a big draw and it is an odd location for a department store.
Randy76

Post by Randy76 »

Just an update:
On Tuesday, July 22 at 5:00 PM, the old La Habra Target closed and its new location opened. Although it is not a Super Target or a Greatlands, it is pretty big. The old address was 1000 E. Imperial Hwy and the new one is 1000 W. Imperial Hwy. Not really smart because it confused many delivery drivers as the new store was being filled. The signage at the old location has been completely removed and there is no indication as of yet what will be built on the lot. Also, on the 25th, a new Circuit City (or "The City") opened up next door. Both occupy the old Super K building. Unfortunately they did a good job of covering up any indication of what the building was previously both inside and out. At least we have this site to remind us!
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

yeh, i don't think there building greatlands anymore, but there is a target near me that opened recently and it is larger than a regular target, with a grocery section and frozen foods, but it is not a greatland and with only one entry, i heard that is their new prototype...
Randy76

Post by Randy76 »

I have heard that Target does not want to differentiate between store types anymore, although some offer different products. For instance, they are eliminating garden sections in a lot of the newer stores, however still maintains them at others. The La Habra store has an expanded grocery section with dozens of freezers, but does not sport produce or other typical grocery store features.
Next on this list for expansion of the chain in this area is the Brea store. It will supposedly be a two story store (the first in the area that I am aware of) and will be located in the former Toys R Us building on Birch street behind the Brea Mall. No word on a timetable for completion as of yet.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Greatland branding was actually removed from the local Target store here when they did a major remodel of the store (which physically expanded the building the store was in and added a grocery section, but not fresh foods) about three years ago. I'd guess that Super Targets (with the full grocery and fresh food sections) are still branded differently, but since there aren't any in this region I can't be certain of that.

Also, I am not aware of any Target stores in this area that have garden centers, even though the major competitors in the area (Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer) all have these.
Last edited by Brian Lutz on 27 Jul 2008 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

Randy76 wrote:I have heard that Target does not want to differentiate between store types anymore, although some offer different products. For instance, they are eliminating garden sections in a lot of the newer stores, however still maintains them at others. The La Habra store has an expanded grocery section with dozens of freezers, but does not sport produce or other typical grocery store features.
Next on this list for expansion of the chain in this area is the Brea store. It will supposedly be a two story store (the first in the area that I am aware of) and will be located in the former Toys R Us building on Birch street behind the Brea Mall. No word on a timetable for completion as of yet.
most of the newer stores here actually have garden centers and most of the older ones don't, that is here in las vegas
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

Next on this list for expansion of the chain in this area is the Brea store. It will supposedly be a two story store (the first in the area that I am aware of) and will be located in the former Toys R Us building on Birch street behind the Brea Mall.
Both the central Pasadena (former Robinson's) and Eagle Rock Plaza (former Wards) Targets are two stories. Of course neither of these was a new build, so maybe you were referring to newly-constructed stores.