Mervyns

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re: Mervyns

Post by Dean »

Went to the Mervyn's site...and noticed it is listed as Mervyns...(no apostrophe).

New change...?! Had it been axed prior?

Von's became Vons years ago.

Albertsons is a hoot. Their current logo doesn't have an apostrophe, yet the company, New Albertson's does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albertsons

The recent/older store-branded products (prior to the current logo), with the black & white scripted logo...have the apostrophe.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Dean wrote:Albertsons is a hoot. Their current logo doesn't have an apostrophe, yet the company, New Albertson's does.
Albertson's, the corporation, had used the apostrophe to distinguish itself from their Albertsons "food centers" for decades. They've been doing it since the '60s-era "Western" signage with the big red "A". Prior to that, their signs were less consistent and occasionally stores used the apostrophe but usually they didn't.

Just a guess, but the decision to drop the apostrophe on the stores was probably a practical matter. Since each letter of the Western-style logo was mounted individually on the facade, the apostrophe was unwieldy and when the costs of sign installation were multiplied over hundreds of stores, the expense of keeping it was probably not insignificant.

Here's a stock certificate from the mid-'80s that has the official logos of both Albertson's, Inc. and the Albertsons stores. I would imagine that Supervalu could care less about this arcane style detail and I wouldn't be surprised to see it applied inconsistently.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The Redlands CA site is soon to be converted...so if you want any photos of the old Mervyns signage...hurry! :)

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_15627684?IADID= ... .sbsun.com
Jason B.
Veteran

Re: Mervyn's-First Orange County Locations

Post by Jason B. »

The first two Orange County locations of Mervyn's opened in October 1975. They possibly were the first Mervyn's stores in southern California. Their locations were:

(1) 9811 Adams Ave., Huntington Beach and
(2) Fullerton Crossroads Shopping Center, 3204 East Yorba Linda Blvd., Fullerton.

A newspaper advertisement for employee recruitment [Los Angeles Times (Orange County Edition), Sept. 7, 1975] listed the following Mervyn's locations in mid-1975: Alameda, Antioch, Campbell, Citrus Heights, Cupertino, Daly City, Dublin, Fremont, Merced, Millbrae, Modesto, Mountain View, Napa, Oakland, Petaluma, Sacramento-Point West and Florin, Salinas, East San Jose and South San Jose, San Lorenzo, San Pablo, Vallejo and Visalia.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:The Redlands CA site is soon to be converted...so if you want any photos of the old Mervyns signage...hurry! :)

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_15627684?IADID= ... .sbsun.com
Site opened as Burlington Coat Factory.

Left same doors, and the tile walkways all throughout the store.

Recarpeted.

After that...pretty much the same store!
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Other vacant locations include West Covina (Eastland Center/Citrus), City of Industry (adjacent to Target), Temecula (Winchester/Ynez) and Laguna Hills (I-5/Alicia Pkwy).

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Palm Desert CA--VONS is moving into vacant Mervyn's.

Related thread:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... 016#p17016
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Laguna Hills is now LA Fitness.

West Covina Eastland (vacant Mervyns, Circuit City, and Levitz spaces) is being renovated for the inclusion of at least 4 new retailers/restaurants.

luckysaver
RXSQ
Contributor

Post by RXSQ »

The Riverside, CA store across from the Galleria at Tyler mall is now a Kohl's. It opened in September 2010.

The building originally opened in 1972 as The Treasury. Mervyn's and Target took over the building in 1983, with Mervyn's closing in early 2009. Target still occupies its portion of the 185,000 sq. ft. building. More info here.
BK31
Contributor

Post by BK31 »

RXSQ wrote:The Riverside, CA store across from the Galleria at Tyler mall is now a Kohl's. It opened in September 2010.

The building originally opened in 1972 as The Treasury. Mervyn's and Target took over the building in 1983, with Mervyn's closing in early 2009. Target still occupies its portion of the 185,000 sq. ft. building.
Any idea if this was a Treasury with their folded plate roof over the whole store or just the old canopy? I wonder if any remnants of it remain. I recently ran across an old Treasure Island / The Treasury space in Doraville Georgia that still had the old ceiling in the sales area.

As for the building I wonder how they did the split of a single building to two owners when they sold off Mervyn's since Target (or rather their real estate arm now) typically owns the land and buildings themselves rather than leasing space.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

BK31 wrote:
RXSQ wrote:The Riverside, CA store across from the Galleria at Tyler mall is now a Kohl's. It opened in September 2010.

The building originally opened in 1972 as The Treasury. Mervyn's and Target took over the building in 1983, with Mervyn's closing in early 2009. Target still occupies its portion of the 185,000 sq. ft. building.
Any idea if this was a Treasury with their folded plate roof over the whole store or just the old canopy? I wonder if any remnants of it remain. I recently ran across an old Treasure Island / The Treasury space in Doraville Georgia that still had the old ceiling in the sales area.

As for the building I wonder how they did the split of a single building to two owners when they sold off Mervyn's since Target (or rather their real estate arm now) typically owns the land and buildings themselves rather than leasing space.
You can see the old facade on this thread (3rd post from bottom):

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... a&start=15
BK31
Contributor

Post by BK31 »

Sorry I should've looked at RXSQ's link before I responded. I saw it soon after on those pages. Not to go too far off topic from Mervyn's I just knew that sometimes the Treasury only did the squiggly roof out at the canopy area out front or until the first column line inside and others they did the whole store.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:Laguna Hills is now LA Fitness.

West Covina Eastland (vacant Mervyns, Circuit City, and Levitz spaces) is being renovated for the inclusion of at least 4 new retailers/restaurants.

luckysaver
The Eastland site still is in quite chaos! Seems like a lot of movement...yet no progress! What are they doing?!

The Palm Desert Mervyn's is supposed to become VONS. There is even a sign on the building. Yet, it has been a fight with the city over zoning.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:

luckysaver
The Eastland site still is in quite chaos! Seems like a lot of movement...yet no progress!

Checked the city of West Covina's website. Still renovating the building(s) for future tenants.

The Palm Desert Mervyn's is supposed to become VONS. There is even a sign on the building. Yet, it has been a fight with the city over zoning.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Dean wrote:
Dean wrote:

luckysaver
The Eastland site still is in quite chaos! Seems like a lot of movement...yet no progress!

Checked the city of West Covina's website. Still renovating the building(s) for future tenants.

The South San Diego/Imperial Beach Mervyn's is becoming a Walmart (non-supercenter): http://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=425
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"