Leonard's Department Store in Southern California

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Leonard's Department Store in Southern California

Post by luckysaver »

Southern California had several locations of "Leonard's Department Store" in the 1950's-1970's.
What's the history behind the Rowland Heights store on Colima and Batson (currently Hong Kong Supermarket)? (pictures at http://www.hongkongplazausa.com).

The store itself was pictured in a 1970 San Gabriel Valley Tribune article about the big Puente Hills Fire at the time. The parking lot in front of both the department store and Colima Bowling Alley was used as a large staging area for animals and fire equipment.

Note - Hong Kong Supermarket recently closed and the old supermarket was converted to chinese mall shops.

luckysaver

ps
Also on that website is a picture of Hong Kong Supermarket's Monterey Park branch on Garfield and Garvey. An earlier post mentioned it being a Market Basket or a Crawfords and a skating rink.

Some locations:
HUNTINGTON BEACH 16672 BEACH BLVD
ROWLAND HEIGHTS 18414 E 5th AVE (Colima)
EL SEGUNDO 600 N Sepulveda Blvd
Last edited by luckysaver on 25 Dec 2008 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Leonard's Department Store in Southern California

Post by Dean »

Site became Market Basket. Huge woven signage was there for years.

Market Basket built a replacement store across the street.

When MB existed...VONS moved into site. VONS had been @ Colima & Nogales. That site is currently BIG LOTS...formerly PIC-N-SAV.

VONS left, and the site is currently an Asian market.
mike t. whittier ca
Contributor

Post by mike t. whittier ca »

There was a Leonards Dept. store in Garden Grove, it was on Harbor Blvd & Garden Grove Blvd. its now a grocery store of some type, i remember going there as a kid.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The OSH on South Victory in Burbank was a Leonard's.

The Albertsons on the corner of Palms and Sepulveda in West LA is a heavily remodeled Leonard's. It was a Fazio's, then Albertsons, Grocery Warehouse, and Max Foods. (It was never an A&P or Shopping Bag, Fazio's forerunners.) The Lucky across the street was briefly an Albertsons before the former Leonard's was all but rebuilt.
Clumsygenes
Contributor

Post by Clumsygenes »

luckysaver wrote:Southern California had several locations of "Leonard's Department Store" in the 1950's-1970's.
What's the history behind the Rowland Heights store on Colima and Batson (currently Hong Kong Supermarket)? (pictures at http://www.hongkongplazausa.com).

The store itself was pictured in a 1970 San Gabriel Valley Tribune article about the big Puente Hills Fire at the time. The parking lot in front of both the department store and Colima Bowling Alley was used as a large staging area for animals and fire equipment.

Note - Hong Kong Supermarket recently closed and the old supermarket was converted to chinese mall shops.

luckysaver

ps
Also on that website is a picture of Hong Kong Supermarket's Monterey Park branch on Garfield and Garvey. An earlier post mentioned it being a Market Basket or a Crawfords and a skating rink.

Some locations:
HUNTINGTON BEACH 16672 BEACH BLVD
ROWLAND HEIGHTS 18414 E 5th AVE (Colima)
EL SEGUNDO 600 N Sepulveda Blvd

I used to live right up the street from that store when I was a little girl. My family used to shop there a lot. There was also a Benjamin Franklins there, at the time they had penny candy. There was also a Los Angeles Public Library. I remember the Puente Hills fire. I was about 5-6 years old at the time.