Britt's Department Store

Moderator: Groceteria

nysw3636
Veteran

Re: Britt's Department Store

Post by nysw3636 »

I know this is an old thread, but there was a Britt's Department Store in Kingston, NY. The store was located in Kingston Plaza Shopping Center, and is now a Hannaford. After Britt's closed, it was a Grand Union (which moved over from the middle of the plaza)...
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Had one in my area as well in Gloversville in the Arterial Plaza. It opened sometime in the 60's with the rest of the center and closed I'm going to say maybe the end of 1978. I'm actually surprised it stayed open that long because it never looked that busy and quite honestly was viewed as being somewhat upscale for the area when compared to the stores we had around here at the time. Sat vacant until the end of '85 when Zayre moved in. Zayre became Ames and then closed with the rest of the chain in 2002. Today the space is subdiveded between a Grossman's Bargain Outlet, Dollar General and Save-A-Lot.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seems Findlay Village Mall in Findlay, OH had one. It became a Kmart until the mall was highly renovated in the early-mid 90s. Kmart moved to the other end of the mall and closed in the early 2000s. The former Britt's area was torn down for a new wing anchored by Elder-Beerman, and the newer Kmart is now a TJ Maxx, Best Buy, and Dunham's Sports.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

Britt's was in Manor East Mall and was practically unknown until relatively recently (thought to be always Penney's). It opened in 1970 but it was around the mid-1970s I'm told when Britt's packed up for a JCPenney to fill the spot. The building hosts Jo-Ann Fabrics and Bealls today.