Barker's Department Stores

Moderator: Groceteria

nysw3636
Veteran

Re: Barker's Department Stores

Post by nysw3636 »

I found the 6 Barkers location in the New Orleans,LA area, plus 2 more in the Virgin Islands. List is updated. The 6 in Louisiana are...

Harvey - 900 Manhatten Boulevard
Jefferson Parish - 213 Jefferson Highway
Kenner - 3408 Williams Boulevard
Metaire - 2840 Veterans Boulevard
New Orleans - 9701 Chef Menteur Highway
River Ridge - 8601 Jefferson Highway
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

900 Manhattan Blvd is Burlington Coat Factory
213 Jefferson Hwy. is Lowe's, but not in the original building. Was a Ford Truck dealer for many years.
3408 Williams is Office Depot, Family Dollar and a couple others
2840 Veterans is Stein Mart
9701 Chef Menteur is a Winn Dixie
8601 Jefferson Highway is also Winn Dixie.
Scott Greer
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

wnetmacman wrote:900 Manhattan Blvd is Burlington Coat Factory
213 Jefferson Hwy. is Lowe's, but not in the original building. Was a Ford Truck dealer for many years.
3408 Williams is Office Depot, Family Dollar and a couple others
2840 Veterans is Stein Mart
9701 Chef Menteur is a Winn Dixie
8601 Jefferson Highway is also Winn Dixie.
Thanks for the info Scott. Also need to add the address for Chalmette,LA. I already had it on my list, just did not know the address. It is "8577 West Judge Perez Drive". That makes the 7 Barkers stores in the New Orleans area...
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

nysw3636 wrote:Also need to add the address for Chalmette,LA. I already had it on my list, just did not know the address. It is "8577 West Judge Perez Drive".
That's a little more interesting. That was a large combo store. Prior to Hurricane Katrina, it had been a Kmart with a small section walled off for Big Lots. Just before the storm, Home Depot built a store behind this, and tore down everything BUT the Big Lots. That whole area flooded badly during the storm, and no part of the store is still standing.

You just solved a big mystery for me. I had long wondered what that Kmart had been before, because it wasn't a standard Kmart.
Scott Greer
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

wnetmacman wrote:You just solved a big mystery for me. I had long wondered what that Kmart had been before, because it wasn't a standard Kmart.
Glad I could help. Updating addresses to CT locations. Also, I have found more locations...

Laredo,TX
McAllen,TX
Texarkana,TX
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Add El Paso,TX...
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Adding Rio Piedras, PR and Mayaguez, PR to the list. Hey Scott, do you have any idea where the Barkers in Monroe, LA was? I just can't locate the address. I know they had a store there per an ad...
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

nysw3636 wrote:Hey Scott, do you have any idea where the Barkers in Monroe, LA was? I just can't locate the address. I know they had a store there per an ad...
Not right off hand. Monroe's retail history is pretty busy. Walmart built a location on Louisville Ave., only to build a Supercenter right behind it. Just beyond that is the original Monroe Kmart. There were many multiple Howard's stores (as Monroe was the home base for that company; Jack Howard was mayor for many years), and there is one store on Louisville at 18th St. that somewhat resembles a Woolco, but isn't one.
Scott Greer
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

wnetmacman wrote:Walmart built a location on Louisville Ave., only to build a Supercenter right behind it.
Louisville Avenue is the only info I have. I was thinking the " Twin Cities Shopping Center or Mall" ? Also, the following link is my lead (scroll down to page 99 or November 4,1965).. Thanks...

http://www.monroela.us/docs/mpd-history-book.pdf
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Twin Cities Mall was Montgomery Ward and Selber Brothers. It wasn't big enough for Barker's.
Scott Greer
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I believe I have found the 15 locations in Puerto Rico. Although outside the USA, I believe it falls under the current topic...

Caparra, PR
Carolina, PR
San Juan, PR
Rio Piedras, PR
Mayaguez, PR
Yauco, PR
Ponce,PR
Caguas, PR
Bayamon, PR (Rexville)
Bayamon, PR (Oeste)
Arecibo, PR
Arecibo, PR
Levittown, PR
Fajardo, PR
Humacao, PR
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Finally, Barkers in Monroe, LA was 1900 Louisville Avenue.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

nysw3636 wrote:Finally, Barkers in Monroe, LA was 1900 Louisville Avenue.
1900 Louisville Ave. had stores at both ends of the center. At the southwest end was a grocery, possibly a Weingarten, which is now a County Market. The other store at the northeast end was the most likely candidate. It later became Service Merchandise. It is now several stores.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=1900+Loui ... g=180&z=19
Scott Greer
Ampersand
Contributor

Post by Ampersand »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:Add Oneonta, NY to the list. That store was located in the Pyramid Mall along NYS Route 7 on the outskirts of town. It began life as a White-Modell around '73 or so and became a Barker's a year or two later. It eventually became a Nichols and last I knew the entire mall structure is home to a medical complex run by Bassett Hospital of Cooperstown. Not sure if it was a different banner after Barkers and before Nichols. There was a similar scenario with the Johnstown store as well. That unit opened in a Pyramid Mall as well in 1972 as a White-Modell and was a Barker's by 1974 I believe. It became King's in the very early '80's and was a Jamesway by the fall of 1983 and reamined Jamesway until the very end of that chain in late 1995. The Wilton store was also located in a Pyramid Mall and eventually became Jamesway as well. That was built a few years later so I'm not sure what, if any, different banner it started out as. That was a unique one in that it had an auto center as well. The space became home to a flea market and eventually the entire mall was demolished and today an open air "power-center" stands in its place. In thinking about all this as I write, I see a pattern here. Let me go back to White-Modell and try and tie this all in with Barker's. Did White-Modell go out of business and/or did Barker's buy the chain and convert the stores to their banner? At the time they came into this area, I had never even heard of White-Modell and it seems like they were gone rather quickly. Amazing what you think of in that discussion of one chain leads you to another and somehow they're all part of the same topic.
The White-Modell that became a Barkers in the Pyramid/Johnstown Mall I believe was what became the Fays/Eckerd/Rite-Aid space with Jamesway opening in a different space.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

nysw3636 wrote:
TW-Upstate NY wrote:As far as White-Modell, I thought I read somewhere that Modells tested waters outside sporting goods and bought/merged with Whites Department Stores in the early 1970's. Remember it was not a long lasting venture and the Modell family got the Modell name back to sporting goods. No affiliation with Barkers, if memory serves. Any corrections welcomed...
The Wikipedia Paragraph:

Through the years, it has remained a family owned business passing through four generations of the Modell family. While best known as a sporting goods retailer, Modell's also operated a chain of "full-line" discount retailers in the New York-metro area known as "Modell's Shopper's World" (and for a short time as "White-Modells") from the mid-1950s up until 1989, when the company decided to focus on its sporting goods operations partly due to increased competition in the discount retail market.

So it looks like (if this is correct) that they didn't sell to (or be bought out by) Barkers - however there is certainly a possibility that they decided to close certain stores and sold those particular locations to another chain such as Barkers.