Levitz Furniture

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Levitz Furniture

Post by Dean »

Today, noticed an ad in the LA TIMES, as well as TV commericals, that Levitz Furniture "after nearly a century...GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!"

Over the weekend, I noticed that the freeway sign for the Industry CA location had been flipped. I assumed just this site had closed.

The paper states ALL LOCATIONS! which they list 19 sites.

I assume the San Bernardino location is already closed is it is not listed.

Jeff, wasn't the Rosemead site the former Toys R Us?
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Levitz Furniture

Post by runchadrun »

Dean wrote:Jeff, wasn't the Rosemead site the former Toys R Us?
I can confirm that...that was the Toys R Us of my childhood. If you look at one of the views here u can see Geoffrey's head in the sign by the freeway
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1

I heard a couple days ago that Levitz was going to be liquidating. I guess I'll miss the big neon sign near the 5/134 interchange.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Yes it was.

Levitz Rosemead is relatively new still. It said Grand Opening up until a few months ago even!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

thanks to you both!

I do remember Geoffry's head sticking out like that ha!

Also, that was the Toys R Us of my childhood as well.

The San Dimas Levitz is where my family purchased furniture...I still have a desk & hutch from childhood!

We also purchased furniture at good 'ol (and long gone also) RB Furniture

Levitz' lingo was You'll Love it at Levitz !
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Yesterday, I was in Panorama City, and on the corner of Roscoe and Van Nuys in the former Robinsons May Clearance Center I saw:

LEVITZ FURNITURE - Opening soon
NOW HIRING!

Wow. I think they need to take down the sign now.

Also, driving home down the 5, I saw the Los Angeles/Glendale sign lit, and the neon is looking bad =(
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

Just for the record...The entire company is folding...all 76 stores nationwide are now in the hands of liquidators.
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Post by Paper or Plastic »

Levitz' lingo was You'll Love it at Levitz !
After my folks bought some heavy crappy particle board bedroom furniture from there in 1970, pop would say " you'll leave it at Levitz!"
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Aw, that's too bad! The Levitz store in Fresno had a massive neon sign dating from the 60's. Somewhere I have a picture of it lit up at night.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Daniel wrote:Aw, that's too bad! The Levitz store in Fresno had a massive neon sign dating from the 60's. Somewhere I have a picture of it lit up at night.
Levitz had one of their big rotating neon signs in West Phoenix also - visible from a long distance.

The Levitz family is still involved in the furniture business, even though they sold off their interest in the Levitz chain...some of the Levitz' operate the Room Store chain, and there is SAM Levitz Furniture in Tucson-a long time operation in that area.
Super S
Veteran

Re:

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote:
Daniel wrote:Aw, that's too bad! The Levitz store in Fresno had a massive neon sign dating from the 60's. Somewhere I have a picture of it lit up at night.
Levitz had one of their big rotating neon signs in West Phoenix also - visible from a long distance.

The Levitz family is still involved in the furniture business, even though they sold off their interest in the Levitz chain...some of the Levitz' operate the Room Store chain, and there is SAM Levitz Furniture in Tucson-a long time operation in that area.
I thought Room Store folded...All Room Store locations in Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA closed several years ago.

As for Levitz, they are closing in Portland also. Nothing spectacular as far as signs here though.
submariner
Veteran

Re:

Post by submariner »

jamcool wrote:

The Levitz in Huntington Beach, CA also has that sign, rotating "Levitz" oval with a huge three-sided sign underneath reading 'Furniture'
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Dave
Veteran

Re: Re:

Post by Dave »

Super S wrote:
jamcool wrote:

I thought Room Store folded...All Room Store locations in Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA closed several years ago.

As for Levitz, they are closing in Portland also. Nothing spectacular as far as signs here though.
The Room Store is headquartered in suburban Richmond, VA and, believe it or not, is the remnant of Heilig-Meyers.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Noticed the former Levitz along the 105 Fwy, near LAX.

Signage STILL on the building...as nothing has ever changed!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:Noticed the former Levitz along the 105 Fwy, near LAX.

The Industry store has signage on the building as well.

The former Toys R Us / Levitz in Rosemead has been converted and opened a few weeks ago as a UFC Gym.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:
Dean wrote:Noticed the former Levitz along the 105 Fwy, near LAX.

The Industry store has signage on the building as well.

The former Toys R Us / Levitz in Rosemead has been converted and opened a few weeks ago as a UFC Gym.
Yup! Literally drove by the Industry site last night...and thought the same thing.

The former RB Furniture site next store is running as another furniture store.