Cincinnati's Early Shopping Malls:

Moderator: Groceteria

Mid Century Mod

Cincinnati's Early Shopping Malls:

Post by Mid Century Mod »

Hello Everyone,

This is my first-ever post to GROCETERIA. I hope that I am placing this post onto the appropriate message board.

I am currently researching mid-20th century shopping malls in the United States, this for a blogsite that I have created [I am not sure whether it would be using proper "internet etiquette" to mention the name of said blog here on Groceteria........so I will refrain from doing so).

Anyway, it can be very difficult to find out details on the early days of certain shopping centers, or establish facts about a particular one. I am hoping that some of the subscribers to Groceteria may be able to answer a few of my "vintage mall-related" questions. Any info provided will be GREATLY appreciated. Moreover, I will be more than glad to credit anyone providing info to my blog.

With this said, I will add that -on this particular go-round- I would like to get information about some of Cincinnati's early shopping malls, such as......

SWIFTON CENTER [now JORDAN CROSSING]. Opened in 1956. Cinti's first (quote/unquote) "shopping mall". There were two anchor stores in the original mall. Was one of them a Mabley & Carew (in the SWIFTON COMMONS days, this store was an Elder-Beerman)? What was the other anchor in the 1950's-1960's shopping center? Also, there was a supermarket in the early mall. Could it have been a Kroger?

TRI-COUNTY SHOPPING CENTER. Opened in 1960. Cinti's second "mall". Originally open-air (enclosed in 1969 or 1970?). Was its supermarket originally a Kroger?

WESTERN WOODS MALL [site now occupied by WEST TOWN CENTER]. Opened in 1963. Was it originally an open-air shopping mall...or was it enclosed from the start? Also, its original anchors were Shillito's, and J.C. Penney? Was the Thiftway supermarket operating in the circa-1963 mall?

BEECHMONT MALL [site now occupied by ANDERSON TOWNE CENTRE]. Opened in 1969. Always enclosed. One original anchor was Shillito's. Second anchor was a ???....but eventually became a Parisian. Third anchor was originally a ???.....eventually a K-Mart.

ANY other details and/or musings about the early years of these centers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Mid Century Mod
North Georgia
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

You should check out lottaliving.com, which also has message boards. Most of the information is about Southern California (we have a lot of MCM here) but the people there are very knowledgeable about MCM.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I don't think your blog link would be a problem so long as it is truly dedicated to retail history. I for one would like to see it.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Cincinnati's Early Shopping Malls:

Post by Groceteria »

Mid Century Mod wrote:I am not sure whether it would be using proper "internet etiquette" to mention the name of said blog here on Groceteria........so I will refrain from doing so
Please go right ahead. I'm sure we'd all love to see it.
Mid Century Mod

Thanks everyone:

First off, I really liked the LottaLiving site, Runchadrun...thanks for the link-up.

To the Webmaster and Tesg, thanks so much for the gracious invite. I posted a link to the Mall Hall Of Fame under a new topic.

I hope you all dig the newly-grand-opened MHOF blog. As time goes on, I will be trying to improve on its basic concept, and make it inclusive of classic era malls around the nation.

Any comments will be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers,

Mid Century Mod
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Western Hills opened in the 50s, and was almost next door to Western Woods. I believe that McAlpin's was an anchor. There porbably was a second anchor. The center had an Albers.

You're also missing the Kenwoods, which predate Beechmont. Kenwood Plaza, I believe, had a McAlpin's. Kenwood Mall had Shillito's and Pogue's. The Plaza had an Albers. One or the other had a Kroger.

Cherry Grove Plaza predated Beechmont and had a McAlpin's and an Albers.

Newport Plaza and Turfway in Kentucky are other 50s/60s era centers.
Mid Century Mod

Cincinnati's Centers:

Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

I will certainly consider adding WESTERN HILLS PLAZA to my Mall Hall Of Fame. I've read that it was Cincinnati's very first regional shopping center....and I like to include such innovative retail complexes on the MHOF blog.

Alber's...now there's a supermarket that I haven't thought of in eons.

As for "The Kenwoods", I posted articles for both centers on the Mall Hall Of Fame. Here is a site plan that I drew...

I would like to do an article about WESTERN WOODS MALL. However, I haven't been able to find enough info to do this, yet. I am wondering if the mall was open-air when built (1963), or was it enclosed from day one?

Here is a "mallmanac" drawing I did, using an old (circa-1984) US Geological Survey map. I don't, as yet, know the corridor configuration of the mall.......maybe you or someone else on here might recall.......

Cheers,

Mid Century Mod