5915 Yonge, North York ON

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

5915 Yonge, North York ON

Post by Groceteria »

I almost spit out my soda when I saw this amazing specimen.

Based on the fact that it's now a Food Basics, I'd guess it was formerly a Dominion store, since it sure doesn't look like any A&P I've ever seen. However, I'm not all that familiar with their prototypes.

On a related subject, is it safe to assume that most Food Basics stores around Toronto are former A&P or Dominion locations? Or that most No Frills stores are former Loblaw's? Anyone familar with the Toronto landscape out there?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

very interesting..............it's like the "wings" style of the Alexander (Krisel) homes of Palm Springs.
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I'm informed via email that this store started as a Miracle Mart, ultimately owned by Steinberg's, who sold out to A&P. All of which makes sense given that it's now an A&P-owned Food Basics.
dominion301
Contributor

Re: 5915 Yonge, North York ON

Post by dominion301 »

Groceteria wrote:Image

I almost spit out my soda when I saw this amazing specimen.

Based on the fact that it's now a Food Basics, I'd guess it was formerly a Dominion store, since it sure doesn't look like any A&P I've ever seen. However, I'm not all that familiar with their prototypes.

On a related subject, is it safe to assume that most Food Basics stores around Toronto are former A&P or Dominion locations? Or that most No Frills stores are former Loblaw's? Anyone familar with the Toronto landscape out there?
Hello. I'm new here to your great message boards which I've just discovered. I worked for A&P in Ottawa, Canada for 10 years until my store was shutdown in 2006. Anything A&P Canada-related on here, I have pretty good insight on.

I used to go to that store on Yonge between Finch & Steeles as a kid when visiting my grandmother. It was originally a Miracle Mart until getting changed over to a Food Basics around 1998...right around the time the Miracle banner was phased-out by A&P and the Basics banner was just being introduced.

To answer your question above, unless there any new-builds around Toronto, all Food Basics are former A&P/Dominion/Miracle Mart or Ultra Mart locations. Ultra Marts were Miracle Marts with a pharmacy. A&P still has the Ultra banner but there are only 4 or 5 locations in Ontario and they were re-named as Ultra Food & Drug about 10 years ago.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Welcome aboard and thanks for the info.
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

Thanks.

By the way. There's another former Miracle Mart down the road on Yonge at Sheppard. It also has a really cool roof design. It's now a Dominion Save-a-Centre. Several ex-Miracle stores featured arched roofs.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

There's also this really amazing one which was mentioned in another thread, but apparently was always a Dominion:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7521
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

I'm pretty sure that location has always been Dominion.

Not to get too off topic, but the I do remember Miracle Mart banner was actually used around Ottawa by Steinberg's. However, in Ottawa these stores were general merchandise, low-end department stores, smaller than K-Mart, but bigger than Woolworth's.
drubinoff

Post by drubinoff »

Was this location built by Steinberg or Grand Union?
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

This store was opened as a Steinberg's. I've seen a photo of it on flickr.
robdude
Contributor

Post by robdude »

I just drove up Yonge the other night. The store appears to have a conventional roofline now. :( This store also looks a lot like a Ralphs (I think on Ventura Blvd.) I've seen in a book on Googie architecture, probably written by Alan Hess. The Food Basics logo is slightly different now, too, but you'd have to look to notice the difference.

The Yonge/Sheppard store is gone, too.

Further down Yonge, by Eglinton I think, there is still a Metro that might be 10K sf if it's lucky. I remember this one as a Dominion. I think I posted a shot of it somewhere.

In eastern Mississauga there is an old Dominion that still stands along the QEW...gable roof, like a Safeway. I think it's a Metro still; didn't get a good look at it was raining and the QEW is a wild place to drive.
drubinoff

Post by drubinoff »

Ugh....What they did to the old arched Metro (late 1950s Grand Union....which was a Miracle Mart by the 70s and 80s) is GOD AWFUL. See the Metro store at the link below. The beautiful arch has been smothered by postmodern guck.

http://g.co/maps/pgygj

It used to look like this Metro (ne Grand Union) still in Scarborough:

http://spacingtoronto.ca/2009/01/16/sav ... permarket/
http://g.co/maps/fq3dv
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

drubinoff wrote:Ugh....What they did to the old arched Metro (late 1950s Grand Union....which was a Miracle Mart by the 70s and 80s) is GOD AWFUL. See the Metro store at the link below. The beautiful arch has been smothered by postmodern guck.

http://g.co/maps/pgygj

It used to look like this Metro (ne Grand Union) still in Scarborough:

http://spacingtoronto.ca/2009/01/16/sav ... permarket/
http://g.co/maps/fq3dv
That Metro has unfortunately been demolished.
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

robdude wrote:I just drove up Yonge the other night. The store appears to have a conventional roofline now. :( This store also looks a lot like a Ralphs (I think on Ventura Blvd.) I've seen in a book on Googie architecture, probably written by Alan Hess. The Food Basics logo is slightly different now, too, but you'd have to look to notice the difference.

The Yonge/Sheppard store is gone, too.

Further down Yonge, by Eglinton I think, there is still a Metro that might be 10K sf if it's lucky. I remember this one as a Dominion. I think I posted a shot of it somewhere.

In eastern Mississauga there is an old Dominion that still stands along the QEW...gable roof, like a Safeway. I think it's a Metro still; didn't get a good look at it was raining and the QEW is a wild place to drive.
The small Metro on Yonge was formerly Dominion, but was originally an A&P.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

dominion301 wrote:The small Metro on Yonge was formerly Dominion, but was originally an A&P.
At least as recently as a few years back, I believe it still had an A&P parking sign in the back lot. I may have a picture somewhere. I'll look and add it if so. (Update: yes, see attachment, taken in 2006.)
DSCF2544.jpg
And having visited last week, I can confirm that the store that's the subject of this thread has indeed been altered. I wasn't able to get a photo, but it would have just depressed me anyway.