another Loblaws in Gloversville

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ampersand
Contributor

another Loblaws in Gloversville

Post by Ampersand »

I know there is an old one by the Arterial plaza but I am trying to remember here I think there was another one in the downtown area that was used as a church or a bingo hall or something...
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: another Loblaws in Gloversville

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

There were only two-the downtown store discussed in the Great American thread and the one off the arterial on E. Fulton Street. The E. Fulton St. store opened sometime in the 1950's and closed with the opening of the downtown store in early 1975. Interesting little personal connection to this store: my Mother actually won a prize when the original store opened: a chest style picnic cooler which I still have! Amazingly, the signage has NEVER been taken off the building and it was never occupied again. (Father time has done a good job of that though) As to why that is, there's an "urban legend" that Loblaws has a 99 year lease on the property although I've never confirmed that. I drive past that store to and from work everyday and never fail to shake my head in amazement that nothing was ever done to it. Now, you mention Arterial Plaza and while there was a supermarket there, to my knowledge it was never a Loblaws. That plaza opened in the '60's and there was a Save-Way (small local chain-NOT SAFE-way) which became a P+C and closed in 1999. There's a Save-A-Lot in the center today.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: another Loblaws in Gloversville

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Couple of pictures of the E. Fulton St. store (or what's left of it actually):
Attachments
Loblaws Gloversville NY.jpg
Loblaws from LH.jpeg
Loblaws from LH.jpeg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 7013 times