Types of Photos to Post

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

I have a question about photos. I have found myself with unexpected free time and decided to reaquaint myself with my camera. I have taken photos around my area and have shared some on groceteria via a link to my flickr page. There are still many former supermarkets in my area I plan on photographing for my archives. Some I plan to share here. What I would like to know is this: are buildings from the 60s and 70s and even before that were built as grocery stores but in the past 40 years have had their exteriors remodeled two or three times so that today, even if they still house some kind of grocery business, have lost the look that made them easily recognizable as a grocery store of interest to members? An example would be a photo of mine I shared here that pictured a Dollar General in what used to be an A&P colonial style building but was remodeled to the point only long time locals could tell you that an A&P was once located there.
Please let me know if these type of supermarket photos are of interest or should I just stick to sharing photos of of buildings in their original or slighty modified condition. Thanks.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

we are interested
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

In general, these are often interesting to see because the more observant among us can often find some "hidden" older details a casual observer might miss. It's also nice to see the context of the buildings in question with respect to other nearby structures, etc.

So generally I'd say to go ahead and post them, with the following caveats that are already discussed elsewhere:

1. Don't post a LOT of images in one post; if you have a bunch of photos, it's better just to link to them so that people with slower connections have the option of downloading them or not. If it's just one or two, don't worry about it.

2. Try to include some commentary rather than just the photos themselves.

3. To keep the board readable, please resize so that images are no more than 800 pixels wide. You can link to a larger version if you deem it necessary.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I have a rule of thumb I use when I decide on picures to take or post to the web. If the core of the building is still original, I take the picture. That means no vacant lots or new buildings built on the site of something else. I don't concern myself with how the facade looks after a remodeling.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

Groceteria wrote: 1. Don't post a LOT of images in one post; if you have a bunch of photos, it's better just to link to them so that people with slower connections have the option of downloading them or not. If it's just one or two, don't worry about it.
No need to worry about that. I have yet to figure it out so it's easier for me to link to flickr.