This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Hamilton between 1925 and 2018, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- As is the case for most cities in Southern Ontario, the 1970-2000 city directories for Hamilton do not contain classified listings, so the address list is likely somewhat incomplete for those years. This would apply primarily to franchises (IGA, No Frills, Mr Grocer, etc.) that might be alphabetized under the owner’s name, but might also have led me to miss certain chains.
- There also seem to be inaccuracies/omissions in the later directories. I hope to confirm some of these on my next trip north.
- Through my own carelessness, I am missing data on some small chains between 1935 and 1945. I will add these as soon as possible as well.
- A&P/Food Basics
- Carroll’s/Grand Union
- Loblaws/Fortinos/No Frills
- Sobeys/Price Chopper/FreshCo
- Steinberg/Miracle (Food) Mart/Ultra