Lynchburg Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2000
This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Lynchburg between 1925 and 2000, complied from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have. You may view the list in the frame below or open it in a new window, which will give you more viewing options and the ability to download it or add it to your own Google Drive.
- The Anderson’s chain seems to have sold out to provide Pender’s with its entrance into the market, but to have quickly resurfaced as the local Piggly Wiggly franchisee (assuming it wasn’t to begin with).
- Pender’s appears to have left the market as it was becoming Colonial Stores in the early 1940s, but to have returned about ten years later, staying on until its Big Star locations were absorbed into Harris Teeter in 1988.
- King’s Markets sold out to Greensboro NC-based Food World in 1981. Food World was merged with Harris Teeter in 1985.
- Lynchburg Harris Teeter stores were part of a 1999 “swap” that resulted in Kroger taking ownership of most of Harris Teeter’s Virginia stores and Harris Teeter acquiring Kroger’s locations in the North Carolina Triad area.
- Bibee’s/Virginia Markets apparently started out as a wholesaler.
- Safeway was apparently planning to expand south from Charlottesville into Lynchburg in the mid 1980s but never completed the expansion, which may or may not have been related to its 1987 meltdown.
- Bibee’s/Virginia Markets
- Colonial/Pender/Big Star
- Food Lion
- Food World (NC)
- Piggly Wiggly