Atlanta "Murder Kroger" closes

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Atlanta "Murder Kroger" closes

Post by Andrew T. »

Today is the last day of operation for the Kroger store in Atlanta on 725 Ponce De Leon Ave NE; popularly known in local lore as "Murder Kroger" thanks to a series of crimes that happened on and around the property over the years:

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/10/28/13 ... il-atlanta

Lore and infamy aside, this Kroger was aesthetically significant in its own right as a reasonably well-preserved greenhouse store complete with cube sign and oblong "Deli-Bakery/Pharmacy" signage. It had a number of renovations done over the years (the most notable being a glass "house" added over a reconfigured entrance), yet still managed to survive 30 years with its architectural integrity intact.

As a final send-off, the store was commemorated with a candlelight vigil (!) complete with unicycles, and people singing "Dust in the Wind." Of all there is to say about Atlanta, I could never say the city is without its sense of sardonic humor. Wish I could have been there...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
rich
Veteran

Re: Atlanta "Murder Kroger" closes

Post by rich »

Actually, Atlanta is largely without humor, sardonic or otherwise. It's more about boosterism and entrepreneurialism (people endlessly trying to sell you something). This also was known as the "crack Kroger" and for many years marked the eastern end of the prostitution stroll that began a bit less than a mile away by the Krispy Kreme. The store did a very good business when I lived there, with a diverse clientele. It was a reasonably well kept store--in contrast, the Winn Dixie nearby was a dump. It also survived being fairly close to 2 Publix locations. One of the big sustainers for the Kroger was its 24 hour liquor license. Nearby is an outlet of Green's the discount liquor store which I assume is going, too. That one did a big beer and wine trade (their other store sells virtually anything you can imagine) which would switch to Kroger once the store closed.

If memory serves, this may be one of the odd Krogers that had a wall separating produce from the rest of the store--there's an early greenhouse outside of Toledo like this, too. I wonder if they decided to get out of having SuperX companion stores and wound up with these odd floorplans.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I'm not 100% sure, but I really don't remember this one having the wall by produce. I've always had a soft spot for this store and I'ma little sad to see it go; when a younger me used to take road trips that were...ahem...more about nightlife, I always ended up here for some reason. I still pop by every time I'm in Atlanta (though I obviously won't be doing so anymore).

The whole Moreland Avenue corridor has always been one of my favorite parts of Atlanta, and I'm both happy and slightly sad to see the current wave of gentrification. I sort of liked it scruffy...
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Do you mean "Ponce" rather than "Moreland"? This store is probably close to a mile from Moreland. Both corridors have changed--but outside of Little Five Points, Moreland had little to miss, unless you count East Atlanta, whose funky little retail area is off of Moreland. Moreland still has the drive-in and the 1950s Moreland Plaza as southern anchors. The gas company just below Little 5 became an early lifestyle center with Lowe's (much beloved by the many Home Depot haters), Target and an upscale Kroger that was pretty disappointing in its early incarnation. Little 5 is still alive although some of the funk migrated to East Atlanta Village. Ponce has had the real renaissance--the conversion of the Sears warehouse to mixed use after years of typically Atlanta grandiose plans, the shopping center on the old Crackers stadium site, and soforth, while dives like the Clermont have closed.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I really don't remember this one having the wall by produce. I've always had a soft spot for this store and I'ma little sad to see it go; when a younger me used to take road trips that were...ahem...more about nightlife, I always ended up here for some reason. I still pop by every time I'm in Atlanta (though I obviously won't be doing so anymore).

The whole Moreland Avenue corridor has always been one of my favorite parts of Atlanta, and I'm both happy and slightly sad to see the current wave of gentrification. I sort of liked it scruffy...
Was this store close to the "disco Kroger"?

I used to frequent that store often when visiting Atlanta for "nightlife" with friends!!

:-)
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

rich wrote:Do you mean "Ponce" rather than "Moreland"?
Yes. Yes I did. It was very late :)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote:Was this store close to the "disco Kroger"?
IIRC, Buckhead was (is?) the Disco Kroger. Piedmont Road, I think.