Giant Food in Philadelphia Area

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

catnapped
Contributor

Re: Giant Food in Philadelphia Area

Post by catnapped »

MikeRa wrote:What i think will happen is they will replace the generic "Giant" logo (the one based on the old Finast logo) with the Giant [PA] logo for the products sold at Giant [PA] and Martin's, and use the "fruit slice" logo for Giant [MD] and Stop & Shop
Now some of the eggs (cartons) at Giant PA are showing up with the fruit slice logo on it.
catnapped
Contributor

Post by catnapped »

Looks to be some more moves going on by corporate...more fruit slice-logoed stuff showing up at Giant-PA, and now the layout of the circulars at Giant-MD and Giant-PA are very similar to each other.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

Well, in a few short weeks, Giant [PA] will be opening it's first store in Philadelphia itself, at Grant Avenue, east of Roosevelt Boulevard.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

catnapped wrote:
MikeRa wrote:What i think will happen is they will replace the generic "Giant" logo (the one based on the old Finast logo) with the Giant [PA] logo for the products sold at Giant [PA] and Martin's, and use the "fruit slice" logo for Giant [MD] and Stop & Shop
Now some of the eggs (cartons) at Giant PA are showing up with the fruit slice logo on it.
Well, I was wrong in my preditiction.
catnapped
Contributor

Post by catnapped »

Any predictions whether Giant-Carlisle (PA) will further incorporate the fruit slice logo into their stores (bags, store signage)?
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

catnapped wrote:Any predictions whether Giant-Carlisle (PA) will further incorporate the fruit slice logo into their stores (bags, store signage)?
They haven't yet, but Giant-Carlisle (PA) is closing it's Warrington, Pa location, itself a former Genuardi's store. It will close on 11/02/2013.
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

Giant only bought the above location because Safeway would only give up the Feasterville store if Giant took over the lease on the Warrington store. It was just kind of there for the 'hell of it'. It never made a profit in the 2 years Giant occupied it, and I doubt it ever saw much profit as a Genuardi's either. Giant spent very little remodeling this store..just about everything was leftover from Genuardi's or hand-me-downs from other Giant stores, including mismatched shopping carts. The location is pretty awful and it opened right after Safeway acquired Genuardi's (and ruined them). Athough it does face into a semi-busy shopping center, Wegmans came along in 2006 and pretty much sealed the fate.
There really hasn't been any activity since Giant closed....most of the equipment appears to still be sitting inside. I don't know if they are trying to sell it as a package deal to someone else (Weis?) or what. Rumors were flying about that Giant was going to use it as a distribution point for Peapod, or it was going to be demolished for offices, but who knows.