Kroger in Woodhaven, Michigan

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Rimes
Contributor

Re: Kroger in Woodhaven, Michigan

Post by Rimes »

I went inside this Kroger last week and noticed that the 1970s wall graphic lettering (shown in my photos at the beginning of this thread) is now gone, replaced by more modern lettering.

I was sad to see the old funky lettering gone from the walls, but I do have to admit that the modern lettering does help to give off the proper feeling of "fresh" and "new" that most people like to get when they go into a supermarket for their groceries.
brian79

Post by brian79 »

I love this Kroger, it reminds me of the old Kroger on Bay Road in Saginaw.
Rimes
Contributor

Post by Rimes »

Sad news.... I happened to visit the strip mall in which this Kroger is located today and noticed that it has been closed, and the Kroger lettering removed from the brick exterior. :-(

I don't know the exact date that it closed yet, but it must have been within the past couple weeks.

The K-Mart across the street (built in 1971) is also defunct, it went out of business in January.

Oddly, there is a lot of commercial activity in this area, with a Target at the other end of the Kroger strip mall, and a Wal-Mart across the street from that. Sadly it seems like many of the basic grocery stores are being taken over by one-stop-shopping supercenters (like Wal-Mart) that have large grocery sections. (This particular Woodhaven Wal-Mart expanded its grocery section a couple years ago, which perhaps contributed to this Kroger location's demise.)
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Rimes wrote:Sad news.... I happened to visit the strip mall in which this Kroger is located today and noticed that it has been closed, and the Kroger lettering removed from the brick exterior. :-(

I don't know the exact date that it closed yet, but it must have been within the past couple weeks.

The K-Mart across the street (built in 1971) is also defunct, it went out of business in January.

Oddly, there is a lot of commercial activity in this area, with a Target at the other end of the Kroger strip mall, and a Wal-Mart across the street from that. Sadly it seems like many of the basic grocery stores are being taken over by one-stop-shopping supercenters (like Wal-Mart) that have large grocery sections. (This particular Woodhaven Wal-Mart expanded its grocery section a couple years ago, which perhaps contributed to this Kroger location's demise.)
The Wal-Mart combined with the Meijer kitty-corner to the Kroger probably nailed the coffin. The store was smaller than the more modern locations though. Plus Kroger took the larger, more modern Farmer Jack location a couple miles down the road at West & Telegraph, so this location would have suffered from those sales as well.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Rimes
Contributor

Post by Rimes »

I forgot about the Kroger further up West Road near Telegraph, which is a newer, bigger location (a former Farmer Jack). Yep, it was probably decided to close the smaller store due to its small size and its age, and the increased competition in that area. A shame, as I don't remember a time when that Kroger wasn't there, which had prompted me to take the photos within the store (that began this thread) in 2007, knowing that someday the store would probably be no more, or at least be changed in some way from what I remembered.
Rimes
Contributor

Post by Rimes »

This Kroger location is now occupied by a Planet Fitness gym. I believe that the Planet Fitness moved in either this month (Oct. 2014) or last month.