NEW: Columbus OH, 1930-2015

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Columbus OH, 1930-2015

Post by Groceteria »

I'm particularly proud of this one (and it took some time as there are over 700 addresses in the spreadsheet). This replaces the VERY incomplete and limited list that was here before, and also features a photo gallery and map:

http://www.groceteria.com/place/ohio/columbus/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: NEW: Columbus OH, 1930-2015

Post by Andrew T. »

Wow, this is great!

The map is particularly striking because it clearly shows long strings of commercial development along major roads emanating out like spokes from the city centre. These patterns are common in many cities, but they're rarely as pronounced and visible as they are here.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: NEW: Columbus OH, 1930-2015

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T. wrote: 14 Sep 2018 11:40The map is particularly striking because it clearly shows long strings of commercial development along major roads emanating out like spokes from the city centre. These patterns are common in many cities, but they're rarely as pronounced and visible as they are here.
I noticed that too. It was even more apparent when I ran an earlier version of the map with data only through about 1950 or so. Columbus is very much an anomaly in Ohio WRT development patterns in general since its growth has been so much more consistent over time than most other cities in the state.