NEW: Port Huron MI, 1933-1992

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Port Huron MI, 1933-1992

Post by Groceteria »

This one was quick and not all that exciting, but both sides of the Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing are now represented:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-mic ... ort-huron/

It is interesting that both current Krogers in Port Huron proper are slightly expanded superstores dating from the mid-1970s. This is also yet another Michigan city where National Tea came in, bought out a chain with some fairly old stores, and never got much past that initial purchase before abandoning the area.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: NEW: Port Huron MI, 1933-1992

Post by Andrew T. »

I'm a little surprised that Kroger still continues to operate two stores in Port Huron...there are cities several times as large where the company has closed all but a single store. They may be counting on rural and cross-border traffic to drive up volumes...though there's hardly much of the latter these days.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this! Port Huron may be an American city, but it will forever be identified in my mind with my move to Canada.

Interesting to see that Port Huron's two A&P centennials (both of which I snagged pictures of on the day I landed in Sarnia) opened a decade apart. It's also interesting that both of them remained open as A&Ps until the 1990s. Here they are, at 1639 Garfield and 729 Howard:
ImageImage

2720 Pine Grove Avenue wins Port Huron's Frankenstein prize. It's a 1950s barrel-roofed Kroger that got an enormous (and bizarre) two-story postmodernist expansion, and now appears to be a combination of retail and office space.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull