Grocers in "real" malls - not strip malls

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote:A couple of malls in the Albany area had Price Choppers - Mohawk Mall (Niskayuna, near Schenectady) and Clifton Country Mall.
If memory serves me correctly, wasn't the Mohawk Mall PC originally a Pantry Pride? Matter of fact, I think it was part of a J. M. Fields combo with the J. M. Fields later becoming a Bradlee's. As for CCM, wasn't that store originally an A+P?
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

The Ala Moana Center in Honolulu has a FoodLand grocery store. Although in the mall proper, I believe access to FoodLand is only from the outside.
Other anchors include Sears, Neiman Marcus, Shirokiya (with a great bakery and food court), the ubiquitus Macy's (formerly Liberty House, with 2 great restaurant holdovers - Hackfeldts and the Pineapple Room), Long's Drugs and Old Navy. Nordstrom is opening their first full line Hawaii store ther in 2008.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:If memory serves me correctly, wasn't the Mohawk Mall PC originally a Pantry Pride? Matter of fact, I think it was part of a J. M. Fields combo with the J. M. Fields later becoming a Bradlee's. As for CCM, wasn't that store originally an A+P?
Not sure - that must be earlier than I remember.
The Mohawk could have been, but if so one of the parts must have been larger, as the later configuration had at least 2 or 3 stores between Price Chopper & Bradlees (including Present Comapny catalog showroom).
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Apparently, the Sherwood Park Mall in Sherwood Park, AB has a Safeway:

http://www.kalynacountry.com/shopping.htm

---

Closer to home, I can think of two sites in the Peninsula that had in-mall supermarkets: the former Petrini's (now a Borders Books) at Stonestown in SF, and the Longs Drugs that was a former Cala at Serramonte in Daly City.
Chris Sampang
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: The Mohawk could have been, but if so one of the parts must have been larger, as the later configuration had at least 2 or 3 stores between Price Chopper & Bradlees (including Present Comapny catalog showroom).
I'm going to guess here but I'd say Mohawk Mall opened in the very early 70's with the Pantry Pride and J. M. Fields combo as original tennants and the A+P opened at CCM I'm going to say around '76 or so. Actually the Pantry Pride and J. M. Fields was on one end of the mall and Montgomery Ward was on the other end closer to Route 7/State Street. Eventually, after PC left and Present Company closed, Fay's Drugs and Paper Cutter (which was Fay's chain of office supply stores) moved into that general area of the mall.
epickles

Mall w/Grocery Store

Post by epickles »

Here in Cincinnati, there is a Biggs Hypermarket (the very first in the city) in what is now Cincinnati Mills Mall. Used to be Forest Fair Mall, built in the late 1980's.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q= ... d&z=14&t=m
DanniGirl

Grand Union at Prince George's Plaza

Post by DanniGirl »

Grand Union was original to Prince George’s Plaza when it opened in 1959; it was at the west end, in front of where Woodward & Lothrop (now J.C. Penney) would open a few years later. It remained at the Plaza until the early to mid 1970s. I don't know if the store itself was demolished or simply gutted and redesigned. However, a few years later, that same area/space was leased by LensCrafters and Kids R Us, which operated side-by-side.
DanniGirl

Re: Supermarkets (and auto centers) in Malls

Post by DanniGirl »

Actually, a couple of Hecht’s stores did have auto centers. There outparcel behind the Hecht’s at Prince George’s Plaza was definitely a Hecht’s Automotive Center initially. Landover Mall also had a Hecht’s Auto Center, which was original to the mall opened in May 1972. It was listed in the Washington Post's grand opening notice about Landover Mall.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There's a mall in San Jose that is anchored by a Safeway.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

Even though the Charleston Plaza Mall in Las Vegas is long gone, the shopping center that was built where it used to stand is still called the Charleston Plaza Mall, which features an Albertsons.
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

javelin wrote:Grocery stores inside malls are quite common in Europe. In Ireland, they're usually anchored with a Penney's (same spelling, no relation to the US JC Penney).

The Stonewood mall in Downey, CA had an Albertson's. The main anchor was a JC Penney.
Javelin: Where was that Albertsons?

Also, In reference to Stonewood Mall, I'm guessing that the Sears is a former something else - MonkeyWards??? Looks like a former cafeteria next to it... true?

Speaking of grocery stores on mall parcels, there's the Luckys (now Albertsons) at Lakewood Center... an OLD mall that's seen more change than most but still successful. I believe once upon a time this mall was an outdoor mall that was later enclosed. Big box stores on the outskirts, a 2-story Target where there was once a MonkeyWards...
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Stonewood Mall's Sears store was a Broadway store. It closed in 1996 when Macy's didn't want a store in Stonewood (only to enter stonewood in 2006)

There is a large store that is today the Macy's Home store. I beleive this was a supermarket at one point, it does have two entrances.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:There is a large store that is today the Macy's Home store. I beleive this was a supermarket at one point, it does have two entrances.
I'm pretty sure you're right. It's been years since I've been down there but I remember the Albertsons as a kid and it was roughly where local.live.com shows the Robinsons May Home Store, so I guess that's Macy's Home Store now.
paysh
Contributor

Grocery Stores in Malls

Post by paysh »

There was a Great American supermarket in the Arnot Mall in Horseheads, NY during the mid 70's. The mall was, at the time, pretty small with an Iszard's Department Store (a local store) and a JC Penney, along with a handfull (maybe 25) of other smaller stores. It was small, but a real mall.

When Arnot Realty did a major expansion of the mall (late 70's?) the Great American disappeared.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote: Eastland Mall (Now Eastland Center) has an Albertsons (former Lucky) on the outskirts that has been there since the center opened. The mall however died and was big boxed, but the market is there.
I believe Eastland was used in the TV show THE WONDER YEARS. I WONDER (pun intended) if LUCKY (which it was during the series run), was ever used for shots? Could've been tough...as the show was to have taken place years prior...and the appearance could've been too "modern". Have to scan the series...if available on DVD to see if LUCKY appears...