Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Vons and Jensens, Palm Desert, CA

Post by Dean »

(Split into new thread by moderator)

Palm Desert CA--

Help me out:

The current VONS is @ 72657 Hwy 111. Was this Safeway?

Jenson's (independent chain) is @ 76601 Hwy 111. Was this VONS...and became Jenson's when VONS assumed the safeway site?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

The Jensens was a Vons. The Vons on Tahquitz was a bowling alley.

Which Vons on 111 are you talking about? What cross street? Is it the one at the Rimrock Shopping Center or the one across the street from Macys (Westfield Mall)?

Side note: The Ralphs at Smoketree Shopping Center that is being remodeled into a Fresh Fare was a Vons.
The Food Fair Empire
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Steve Landry wrote:The Jensens was a Vons. The Vons on Tahquitz was a bowling alley.

Which Vons on 111 are you talking about? What cross street? Is it the one at the Rimrock Shopping Center or the one across the street from Macys (Westfield Mall)?

Side note: The Ralphs at Smoketree Shopping Center that is being remodeled into a Fresh Fare was a Vons.
thanks for confirming Jensen's! It has the VONS feel...with the arches & lanterns in front.

The VONS I am questioning is across the street from Westfield. Former Safeway?

thanks!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Yes............or so I am told.

The old small Vons on 111 and Bob Hope was always a VONS. Longs is in the same center.
The Food Fair Empire
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Steve Landry wrote:Yes............or so I am told.

The old small Vons on 111 and Bob Hope was always a VONS. Longs is in the same center.
thanks Steve!

This site has the SAFEWAY feel in the front. Completely remodeled LIFESTYLE store. Quite nice.

What I find funny tho...is the FRONT signage. It appears that with the remodel...they changed the sign probably from the old larger rectangular SAFEWAY sign...to spell out V O N S. Yet, in so doing...they simply painted where the sign USED to be. Hence...the paint does not match the rest of the front! Ha! All that work on the inside...yet, leave the front looking like that?!

In regards to the smaller 111 VONS...comical side bar!

One time I was shopping there near the holidays. There was an older gentlemen with a huge list (I assume his wife compiled...as it had a lot of baking stuff and such!)..and he was having a heck of a time finding the stuff. I don't remember if he asked me or if I asked him if he needed help...but I ended up helping him...as he was a mess!

I ran into him again, and I helped him again.

When I was LEAVING the store...I heard him YELLING out for me from a distance! So, I walked back, helped him again, and then let him know that I did not work there...and was leaving! :)

You gotta' love grocery stores! They are always an adventure!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Very funny!!!! THAT is the typical shopper there. Was he elderly? This store is a huge embarrassment. Major problems with the landlord and city. Safeway wants to close it but can't right now because of "political" issues with the city.

BTW.......the lifestyle store was repainted 2 months ago and the outdoor sconces and pillars' stone tiling were just added. The 2 tone was intentional and the landlord was asking, why so? :)
The Food Fair Empire
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Jensen's was a new build in 1983 for Jensen's. I don't remember it ever being a Vons. The Vons on 111 in Palm Desert was originally a Safeway and one of the first stores in Southern California to be converted to the lifestyle format.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Steve Landry wrote:Very funny!!!! THAT is the typical shopper there. Was he elderly? This store is a huge embarrassment. Major problems with the landlord and city. Safeway wants to close it but can't right now because of "political" issues with the city.

BTW.......the lifestyle store was repainted 2 months ago and the outdoor sconces and pillars' stone tiling were just added. The 2 tone was intentional and the landlord was asking, why so? :)
Yes, he was an older shopper! :)

The landlord was asking why the 2 tone? It looks odd around the lettered V O N S.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

klkla wrote:Jensen's was a new build in 1983 for Jensen's. I don't remember it ever being a Vons. The Vons on 111 in Palm Desert was originally a Safeway and one of the first stores in Southern California to be converted to the lifestyle format.
Sure looks like it could've been VONS originally...yet possibly they duplicated "the look" for the area.

I can indeed tell that the 111 VONS was a Safeway from the "swooping" front. Thought they told me that it has JUST been remodeled to Lifestyle. How long ago was it remodeled?

thanks!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

My sources indicate that the Jensens was NOT a new build. Vons built it and was there pre 1979. Additionally, Jensens did not build stores with that kind of architecture. The center style (very distinctive) has got to be pre 1980's. From there Vons moved to the bowling alley in the shopping center on Tahquitz. AND the bowling alley Vons will be replaced soon with a new LARGE store on Sunrise and Tahquitz. Safeway is undecided on whether it will be a Vons Lifestyle or a Pavilions Plus.

The Palm Desert Vons (Lifestyle) remodel is no more than 2 to 3 years old.

Interestingly, the Vons at Rimrock Shopping Center (Palm Canyon Bl.) which replaced the Vons at Smoketree Shopping Center (Sunrise and Palm Canyon) has a very similar sloping front roof line BUT, is an original Vons new build and not Safeway.

Smoketree Ralphs (former Vons) is totally gutted inside and is set to be redone into a Ralphs Fresh Fare.
The Food Fair Empire
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

Pavilions Plus
Is this a new format or name??? I've never heard of it...
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

steps wrote:
Pavilions Plus
Is this a new format or name??? I've never heard of it...
Isn't their customer card called ValuePlus ?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Basically, Pavilions Plus is a Pavilions remodeled into a Lifestyle format. Interesting, huh? Why.........? 'because Pavilions was credited with "inspiring"
the Lifestyle format. At least through the point of view of Vons (not Safeway). Sort of a full circle effect.

Another way to put it is instead of a VonsPavilions you will have a SafewayPavilions? Whatever.............it's going to be gorgeous!!!

:)
The Food Fair Empire
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Steve Landry wrote:Basically, Pavilions Plus is a Pavilions remodeled into a Lifestyle format. Interesting, huh? Why.........? 'because Pavilions was credited with "inspiring"
the Lifestyle format. At least through the point of view of Vons (not Safeway). Sort of a full circle effect.

Another way to put it is instead of a VonsPavilions you will have a SafewayPavilions? Whatever.............it's going to be gorgeous!!!

:)
I was shopping @ a Pavilions, when the news had just broken about Safeway acquiring VONS.

A checker stated, "Yeh. I heard that they are going to call us Savilions !"

As the employees/civilians waited to see what was to follow! Ha!
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

Interresting...I know this topic is going to be moved into the "Pavilions History" soon lol...

Anyways...are they going to have signage saying "Pavilions Plus" or is this just a "insiders term" for a Pavilions Lifestyle? From my understanding, Pavilions has always been "Lifestyle-ish". That was the whole point of the format when the first store was built in the 80's.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!