Former Lucky-Monrovia

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

J-Man
Veteran

Former Lucky-Monrovia

Post by J-Man »

The former Lucky store at the western end of Huntington Dr. in Monrovia (not the one that replaced it--a Lucky-Sav-On that's now an Albertson's) has been vacant for around 10 years. I drove by yesterday and noticed that a Henry's Farmers Market is being built on that site. I couldn't tell if they'd kept much (if any) of the old building. Coincidentally, their nearest large retail neighbors are (were) the Mervyn's across Mayflower in the Huntington Oaks Center and the Expo across Huntington. (And just down the street was a Circuit City that started as a CompUSA.) So much dead retail in one location!

I've only been in a Henry's once, in San Diego. I know they used to be owned by Wild Oats, but after the Whole Foods merger, they were sold off and the California stores are now under Smart & Final.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Former Lucky-Monrovia

Post by klkla »

Interesting. The former Vons in Burbank that closed a couple of months ago is become a Henry's, also. Henry's is owned by Smart & Final now, right?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

That Lucky was only briefly an Albertsons.

Remember, the Albertsons, former Lucky on Huntington in Duarte to the east was a former Kmart.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

klkla wrote:Interesting. The former Vons in Burbank that closed a couple of months ago is become a Henry's, also.
I wondered what was going to happen to that store. Whole Foods had been trying to open a Burbank store for a while on Main and Alameda near Pavilions but local residents shot it down. Looks like Henry's is going to beat them to the Burbank punch.

The Woodland Hills Vons, which is next to the huge Ralphs Fresh Fare, is also now a Henry's.
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

That Lucky was only briefly an Albertsons.

Remember, the Albertsons, former Lucky on Huntington in Duarte to the east was a former Kmart.
Jeff-- the Lucky I'm referring to was never an Albertsons (at least it hasn't been one since 1987, when I moved to the area). The former KMart (in Monrovia, not Duarte) was a Lucky/Sav-On combo and was a replacement for the store that's now becoming Henry's. The K-Mart/Lucky|Sav-On/Albertsons is still there.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I could have sworn it was an Albertsons for a very brief time.
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

Just got a flyer in the mail for Henry's-Monrovia grand opening on 6/17. It says that the store is only 25,000 square feet, and implies that most of their stores are of a similar small (in comparison to most supermarkets today) size. I don't know how large the Lucky store was-- I'm thinking it was around the same size as the one in Montebello that's now a Smart & Final-Extra. I'll be interested to see how much of the original Lucky space was retained; the exterior looks VERY different.